Madame de Sade
A few weeks ago I got an email from Abel and Haron, asking if Tom and I wanted to join them at the theatre to see Judi Dench in Michael Grandage's staging of Yukio Mishima's 1965 play, Madame de Sade. We accepted enthusiastically. Seeing lots of kinky friends and Judi Dench in one night? How could we refuse?
That Judi Dench was in it was pretty much the only thing I knew about Madame de Sade. And that it was about the infamous Marquis, of course, a character about whom I know surprisingly little given my predilections. I've never read any of his books, and most of my information has been gleaned in passing, and from Quills, that silly movie with the delicious costumes and disappointing whipping.
Madame de Sade is an interesting combination of minimalism and melodrama. It has six characters, all female, who converse in either dry, many-layered court conversation, or richly symbolic, floral poetic monologues. A hell of an acting challenge getting those to sound emotionally convincing while at the same time conveying all the levels of aesthetic and philosophical meaning the Japanese author had in mind. I missed at least half of them, but I could tell they were there, underneath an even dryer layer of intercultural references, arising from the translation into English of a Japanese play set in 18th century France.
The play takes place in a single, gilded, high-ceilinged room in a Parisian mansion. The staging was visually fantastic, but simple - the only furniture was three chairs, unless you count the enormous fabric galleons each of the characters carried around with them. It opens with a conversation between two acquaintances of Judi Dench's character, Madame de Montreuil, the mother-in-law of the infamous Marquis. Frances Barber plays the fictional Comtesse de Saint-Fond, a hedonistic courtesan who is supremely proud of her poor reputation, and describes the Marquis' sexploits with lascivious relish to the prurient Baronesse de Simiane, played by Deborah Findlay. The Comtesse illustrates her lavishly explicit descriptions with frequent swishings of her riding crop, and the comic contradiction between her companion's prim disgust and fascinated curiosity is well played.
It's a predictable, promising start, establishing the stylised dialogue and clash of moral philosophies which characterise the play. The six characters seem initially to be symbolic puppets, representing various positions in a debate on ethics of de Sade's behaviour. Little attempt is made to encourage suspension of disbelief; the play is aware of itself as an abstract, philosophical discourse rather than a realistic story.
After the opening scene, a screen falls across the stage to denote the passing of six years; a couple of scenes later we suddenly skip ahead another twelve years, landing us during the French Revolution. Between each section, passionate music accompanies storm-swept lighting effects and the frenzied galloping of horses. It's all a bit Wuthering Heights, an impression not helped by the curling script declaring "Six years later..." which is projected, silent-movie style, on the screen. The screen then lifts to reveal exactly the same actors, aged not a bit, in much the same postures as before, sporting slightly different dresses and hairstyles. The dresses and hairstyles become progressively more elaborate during the first half of the play, and then massively simpler in the last scene, to represent the Suffering of the Nobility during the Revolution, although there's still enough silk to clothe an elephant.
I think the artificiality of the costumes and unconvincing scene changes, much like the wooden, self-conscious gestures and delivery of the actresses in the opening scene, were deliberate. The stylised speech patterns draw both from French high court 18th century fashion and 1960s Japanese aesthetics. That the action takes place in a single room, almost a single moment, is significant to the play's role as a commentary on events, rather than a straightforward telling of them. The characters show an awareness of the implausible passing of time, in a series of almost-but-not-quite fourth wall moments: "I remember it like it was just yesterday!" they exclaim of a conversation that took place eighteen years ago in their timeline, but half an hour ago in ours. One speech (I think by Madame de Montreuil, but I'm not sure) went on about how time was a swallow flickering through the room; an illusion, whirling around them while they stayed in the same place.
Despite the lurid descriptions, Greek-chorus style, of extraordinary events that happen off-stage, the play contains remarkably little action. Apart from the Comtesse's brisk crop strokes, highly formal curtseys and fan work are about the extent of it. Not only does this physical constraint reflect on the mores of de Sade's time, but the contrast highlights the increasingly explicit experiences that the characters tell each other about.
Dench's performance was controlled and resonant, but understated; either showing her exhaustion or stepping back to so as not to overshadow Rosamond Pike, who dazzled in the starring role. As Clamorous Voice has pointed out, for a play with six strong, interesting female characters, Madame de Sade spectacularly fails the Bechdel test: the only thing they talk about is the Marquis de Sade, whom they mythologise in increasingly dramatic ways. As the play progresses, and their vision of him becomes more and more ridiculously, religiously theatrical, you start to realise that actually this isn't a play dominated by a man. Rather, the Marquis is defined by his absence; he is, in fact, a non-entity, a tool used by the women to flesh out (as it were) their own narratives. His pedestal becomes ever more precarious as their worship of him is gradually revealed to be objectification, and it's refreshing to see this dichotomy expressed, for once, through the female gaze.
The black humour of the play culminates in a hilariously ironic juxtaposition: Madame de Sade herself, played with conviction by Rosamond Pike, and whose changing verbal portraits of her husband reveal her own character more than anything about his, launches into a monologue where she describes the revelation that she experienced while reading his novel Justine. I haven't read it, but I suspect that this sensationally perverse book was largely written because the imprisoned Marquis was very bored. However, Madame de Sade finds in it the resolution of her own internal struggle – between her Christian morality, and her devotion to her husband despite his incurable sinfulness. She uses Justine as evidence that her husband has built a "back stairway to heaven" (I sniggered); constructed an alternative route to God; achieved gnosis through his perversions. She creates a new vision of him as the most liberated individual in Creation, inventing a new mode of freedom from behind bars; and thereby achieves her own independence. Her soliloquy is accompanied by more of the histrionic sound and light effects which throughout the play have echoed around any speech that touches on the supernatural. She becomes ecstatic, elevated, framing her experiences with a new personal enlightenment even as she talks, still, only of her husband.
The spell is broken by a knock on the door. The Marquis, described in a dozen different terms by the women of the play but never seen on stage, is outside and craves entry. Charlotte, the stoic, opinionated family retainer, describes his ruined appearance. Madame de Sade tells her to send him away. The surface impression is that she is shallow, rejecting him on the basis of his alleged age and ugliness. But her character is too complex for such an analysis to stick. Rather I think that her husband's apotheosis, as she described it, was a projection of her own transformation.
The play began with a ritual burning of his portrait by the governors that could not find him to hang him. Portraits of the Marquis, throughout the play, are not about his person at all, but only a useful language for those who paint them.





Excellent post :)
ReplyDeleteWith regard to "rather I think that her husband's apotheosis, as she described it, was a projection of her own transformation": you're entirely right, but I think there's an aspect to that which has not come through here.
Renee de Sade's description of the book Justine in that final scene marks a shift of personal emotion as profound as the one her mother apparently undergoes. She has spotted the fact that the women at the centre of that book are caricatures of herself and her sister (the Marquis' wife and mistress respectively) and her view of his depravities based on being part of them (extraordinarily well handled) changes to a view of him having 'locked her up' in fiction. She decides that Justine indicates a deep-seated disdain for her in her husband, and that it suggests he loved her sister more.
In this she's just as deceived as she was in her remarkable panegyric one act earlier: the Marquis is just as self-centred as the women, and while the sisters probably did inspire his fictional ones the commentary is, as always with de Sade, subsumed within the frantic, the fantastical and the masturbatory.
But it does underline what the female narrative in the play has been about, all along: a power-struggle between Renee and her mother in which de Sade is merely a prop. Anne is only involved in that power struggle to the extent that her personal, sexual and financial liberation from ancien regime France require her to be; Renee is defined by it. She sees her mother (and the proprieties of the aristocracy) as keeping her locked away; in a dank, empty house while her husband is imprisoned, in the role of 'dutiful' wife, in depravity after she has tasted the lash, and in a gilded cage in Paris while she fights her mother for the Marquis' release. At the last, having cast de Sade as her liberator in each of these previous delusions, she sees a trap in a work of fiction that was really not about her at all.
The release of the Marquis being directly juxtaposed with the Marquise deciding to enter (at last) true imprisonment in a convent lays a typically Japanese sledgehammer on the allegorical nut. Having been able to be free at any time had she just let go of the Marquis (as Anne does), she chooses to self-imprison just as he, at last, is (temporarily) freed.
Great review, Pandora. Sounds like a complex but somehow significant and meaningful play.
ReplyDeleteExcellent review Pandora. Overall I did find it very entertaining, although I'm not sure I was meant to laugh so much as I did :)
ReplyDeleteEmmaJane:
ReplyDeleteOh, I think you were :) If nothing else, the way the director had the characters producing their moments of practical directness within the context of the vast, over-flowery language was intended to produce the belly-laughs. We all just got a few more out of it than the average audience member.
Very jealous! I read about this in the Times a few weeks back (they panned it utterly, I believe) and really wanted to see it! Thanks so much for coming back with such a detailed report!
ReplyDeleteI am planning to visit London for the first time in June to meet up with Graham, maybe go to Torture Garden, and see Waiting for Godot, because COME ON IT'S PATRICK STEWART AND IAN MCKELLEN OMG. Um, yeah. You should come to that one with me. Come on, you know you love them.
And oh, hey, did you ever go to The Young Victoria? I haven't, yet.
Mr C - Mmmm, yes, I did sort of pick up on the theme of restraint/liberty when I was watching it, but I definitely missed some of the stuff you're talking about here. Thanks for elaborating on it :)
ReplyDelete(Critiquing theatre when you haven't read the play is really weird. It's like, I have this nagging sense that what you should be doing in the case of most productions is immersing yourself in the experience emotively, not over-thinking it, just letting it wash over you and affect you as strongly as possible. But I enjoy things much more if I think about them and work out what's going on and why. Except that you can't possibly pick up on everything on a single watching, less so the more you immerse yourself in it rather than distancing yourself from it. Or maybe it just takes practice? I think perhaps it was easier to engage with Madame de Sade intellectually because the emotionality of it was so artifical; the big speeches weren't tear-jerking, their chief interest (to me) was symbolic and psychological rather than purely emotive. I guess it depends on the play. One of the reasons I love Shakespeare is that most of his plays are rewarding however you engage with them, and even once you've analysed a play inside out you can still get swept up by it.)
Karl - I would definitely recommend seeing it. I found it very thinky; I think if I'd just gone for a rollicking good show I'd have been disappointed - as, indeed, were most of the newspaper critics who gave it poor reviews, mostly as far as I could tell because it had less rudeness on stage than they were expecting.
ReplyDeleteEmmaJane - Oh I don't know, a lot of the humour was very dark and very deliberate. I think we possibly giggled a bit more than everyone else, but I reckon more of that was intentional than you'd think ;)
It was very nice to meet you, btw! Thanks for coming by and saying hello :)
Caroline: OMG YOU HAVE GODOT TICKETS. HOW. HOW. Aren't they like £70 a seat? I thought they all sold out in January? ARGH. SO JEALOUS.
As for the rest: yes yes yes! Graham emailled me, and as I said to her, I am STUPIDLY BUSY in June and may possibly be going to America for a week to film with Bad Tushy, so I have no idea what I'll be around for, but I am extremely keen to meet you, so if nothing else the three of us will have dinner with much boozing (and giggling, I suspect). Yaay!
Oh, I don't have tickets YET. Hmm. That could be a pain. But I may find a way to get my filthy little paws on some. We'll see.
ReplyDeleteJune is a bit of a mess for me as well--we're going to the States for a week as well at the very beginning of the month for the big Florida Moonshine party. But hectic is good. I like hectic! Especially when it's kinky hectic.
(did a quick search, you can get tickets still if you are willing to pay scalper prices for them. Which I am. I think the theatre may be dark during the time I'm planning to be there though. Rats.)
ReplyDeleteOkay, last one: tickets are still available for pretty much all the June dates and are about £40 a person. I think I will buy some today once I can figure out when exactly we'll be there and if anyone else wants to come with us! If you know anything about your availability and if you're interested, email me! carolinegrey15 at gmail dot com
ReplyDelete