Tuesday, May 12, 2009

life without bruises

I've commented before on the similarities between kink and sport. Both are activities where one consents to physical discomfort and potential injury for purposes of enjoyment, social bonding and personal satisfaction. The only real reason I can see that one is more acceptable than the other is the taboo against any sexual activity not sanctioned by strict cultural 'norms'.

Nonetheless, it's interesting to know that sportsmen and women use very familiar language when discussion their relationship with pain. Martin Johnson, the new England manager, said in an interview today with the Guardian:

"People say, 'I bet you don't miss all the bumps and bruises' – but I do. It's an honest feeling in the morning after a game, whether you've won or lost, to think, 'Yeah, I've put the effort in'. And that's why when a game is over a player can usually switch off. But as a manager the head keeps spinning. You can't leave it alone."

That sense of honesty will be familiar to many submissives; immersing yourself in a physical experience, striving to do your best, is both satisfying and liberating. However a scene ends - whether it pushed you beyond your limits, went in an unexpected direction or was ultimately disappointing - you can feel proud of knowing you were wholly focussed while it lasted. That you put the effort in.

When I first read the interview, I compared Johnson's experience as a new manager to my own experiences producing and directing spanking porn. As a model, my role is to be wholly present in the moment while the cameras are rolling: a certain amount of angst is common after a shoot, but mostly, if I stayed in character and took my strokes, I can feel pleased with my performance. As a director, there are far more things to worry about, and a far greater sense of responsibility.

But I wonder whether this also applies to Doms. I can't speak for myself, not being one, but I've seen Doms angst about a scene afterwards, wondering if they did the right thing. The analogy is a complex one. Johnson's comment about his relationship, as a player, with the opposing team might have been spoken by any sadist:

"When I played you could simply feel what was happening in a game," he remembers with a suddenly concentrated gaze. "You could feel if their intensity was dropping. And then that great feeling comes when you know you've got them, when you know you've broken them."

Is the experience of playing team sports closer to submission or dominance? What about managing a team? The themes of physical intensity and risk run strong through both types of experience, but the interpersonal roles are very different. I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts.

In general, though, I have to agree with Johnson: life without bruises is far less interesting.

7 comments:

  1. If a spanking doesn't go well... for whatever reason... as a top, I do feel badly. There is no feeling pleased. Can understand what you're saying from the spankee/bottom perspective. The analogy you use is a good one. But as top, the one ~driving the action~... there is no place for me to go when things go poorly other than blaming myself.

    However, when things go well... that's a tremendous rush. Then, it does feel a bit like the sports analogy you used.

    Of course, when I did play competitive sports... I never once felt anything but awful after a loss, so maybe I'm not a good case study... lol.

    ~Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very interesting analogy, though I'm so hopelessly un-sporty it's all an intellectual appreciation of it. :)

    We're all endorphin junkies at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I would only class myself as an amateur, Sunday morning pub team, level player, I find the comparison to sport very apt. Also in viewing video spanking material, the analysis of what I am viewing seems very similar to more sport orientated of my friends talking about football.

    Going from being a player to being a manager or from being a performer to a producer/director must be difficult. Being involved in the action but not being able to immerse yourself in it, it must be a whole new ball game ('scuse the pun).

    Y'know writing this comment I just realized, it is really good fun being a fan. Is this how dedicated sports fans feel?

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very awesome analogy, Pandora. For myself, after a shoot, I typically feel like, "Hoorah! How'dya like me NOW!?!?" And then there are times when I wonder. . . . .could I have taken more? Darn, I wish I hadn't squealed like that! So on and so forth. . . . so, as a fellow model, I totally understand where you are coming from. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:50 PM

    A thought-provoking post, as so often.

    As a grammar schoolboy, I did rugby, basketball and athletics. Our rugby team was mediocre at first, easily intimidated by Comprehensive and Secondary Modern school opposition. But over four years we improved a lot and enjoyed it immensely.

    Only cross-country running, in my experience, was ever really physically demanding. When you run hard on a cold winter day, your lungs soon feel like they're full of wet gravel. But soon after a good performance, euphoria transports you to the mystical realm.

    I think there are more differences than similarities between team sports and fetish play. Team sports are group activities, spanking is for pairs. Only twice ever have I been involved in a spanko threesome. Admittedly the typical video fantasy has a punisher and two victims, occasionally more.

    Before I try to compare the emotional payoffs from athletic activity and spanking play, I feel that I ought to confess that I am not a frequent player; I usually get my kicks by watching.

    When I play as spankee, the thrill is extremely intense, but due to the psyshological power play rather than the pain. I can't take much of a caning, I'm afraid.

    When I have spanked a woman, it's been for fun rather than excitement, for enjoyment, not at all like a competitive physical struggle.

    I like trying to persuade a vanilla partner to try playing a naughty girl. But when someone plays along only half-heartedly, although that counts as submission to a certain extent, it's unfulfilling. If both parties are getting what they want, anything goes, otherwise it shouldn't be happening.

    JamesM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Pandora, has any of your enjoyment at being spanked diminished over time? I ask this because I grew up fantasizing over all the same things you seemed to have done, Victorian school rooms, old parental stories of school corporal punishment etc. I was absolutely besotted with the subject. However I find that the ease at which I can now indulge myself with he subject on the internet and in personal play has to some extent obscured the original fantasy with the more porn based stereotype. I now find that the fantasy is for me far more erotic than the actual reality. I wonder since you as an adult work withing the spanking porn world whether you might have experienced a similar realization?
    Also Pandora can you tell me if you've ever achieved orgasm from spanking/caning alone without sexual stimulation?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:24 PM

    This is something I've frequently thought about, having played sport to a reasonable standard. And interestingly even where the sport isn't a contact sport, but demands a lot of stamina, the training can be very painful. I can remember on more than one occasion having pushed myself so hard I vomited toward the end of a session. Washing my hair in the shower afterwards was a real effort.
    That said I'm more of a top than bottom now though either's fine.

    While it might be difficult study to conduct, I'd be interested to know how if spanking was more common among top level athletes than the population in general.

    As Caroline said it's the endorphins (though I'd add a little adrenaline too)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails