Anna Span's pornography may not always be serious, but it is absolutely political
The news this week has been full of stories about Anna Arrowsmith, the former porn director who is now running as a parliamentary candidate for the Liberal Democrats.
Perhaps surprisingly, most of the coverage has been positive. Heresy Corner has a rundown of the response from most of the major papers - it seems everyone's covered this one, from the Guardian to the Daily Mail. To me, this makes far more exciting news than the mere fact of her candidacy. Quite apart from the wider social implications, if Anna Arrowsmith can run for parliament, it bodes well for the potential impact of my current career on any more public endeavours I might undertake in the future. Kink is still considerably less permissible in our society than mainstream sex, but the details of Arrowsmith's career have promising implications for my own situation.
Bloggers on leftie news site Liberal Conspiracy suggest that "she seems like someone with a real belief in personal freedom and choice rather than some sorry mens mag sleazoid, like, well, the owner of the Daily Express". The distinction between 'good' and 'bad' porn implicit in much of the discussion is made explicit by the Heresiarch, who opines:
Perhaps it's Span's much-vaunted feminist beliefs that afford her the benefit of the doubt - this isn't just porn, the subtext reads, this is serious political porn (even though in all honesty it isn't). Would a male pornographer who put himself forward for election attract quite such positive publicity, I wonder?
Her gender is certainly worthy of comment. Like the mainsteam film industry, porn is still male-dominated with a lot of entrenched sexism. Female directors and producers are a relatively recent phenomenon, and Anna Span was the first in the UK. It certainly seems as though her particular approach to pornography has gained her political currency with most commentators; however, her approach is still unusual enough that this may also have been true if she was male.
In an industry as historically misogynist as pornography, Arrowsmith's gender is radical in itself, but the ethos of her productions also stands out from the crowd. The Heresiarch may sneer at the implication that her work is "serious and political", and I'll concede the former - from the stills and descriptions on her website, her productions seem joyous and informal, full of real smiles and infectious laughter. But viewed in the context of the industry, her films are absolutely political.
Arrowsmith wrote her BA dissertation in 1997 on what a female perspective on porn would look like, and those ideas have clearly informed her work. She wanted to make the industry more accessible to women - in other words, increase the proportion of fair trade productions which respected women and catered to their desires, compared to the tired male-gaze tropes which still dominate the industry. This was absolutely necessary, and while Anna wasn't the only woman setting out to revolutionalise porn, she was part of a movement that has had a huge impact. Female directors are no longer isolated rarities, and all manner of indepedent, creative companies are producing porn which celebrates female perspectives.
Easy on the Eye is feminist, cutting-edge and very political, not only because it is (was) woman-led, but because:
- It focuses on the female perspective - not only in having a female director, but in the stories themselves. Beautiful men are displayed as sexually interesting; most of the stories are told from the female protagonist's point of view; friendship, intimacy and humour are as present as much as tits, legs and ass. The resulting productions are warm, glowing with good energy, and hugely respectful in their presentation of the male and female actors who took part.
- It celebrates a range of skintones and body types, including the squashy female bodies which are so rare outside the BBW niche.
It features believable characters with interesting back stories.- It is set in the day-to-day, diverse London world Anna inhabited, rather than the unattainable fantasy lifestyle presented in so much mainstream porn.
- Her scenarios involve interesting, entertaining and often unpredictable storylines - for example:
I visit Ava's house in South London one stoned late summer afternoon to see Nadia helping Ava paint her squat-like bedroom. The painting becomes labourious in the sun and the conversation turns to sex and past partners.
The two of them 'start fucking about' and the paint gets spilt all over the place. Ava settles for a green room with a large stripe of the previous magnolia showing through.
and
Stumbling back from a club at 6 in the morning. My friend Linda has pulled the DJ. She has, however, forgotten to buy the cigarettes - even though we went out of our way in a cab to a petrol station. Luckily the bloke hasn't had his shag yet, so he's feeling all gentlemanly, and goes out to get some.
Meanwhile, I get chatting with Linda. Well... does she like him? On Mickey's return I make myself scarce to give her the chance to pounce as I can see that she is ready. And pounce she does. Mickey's a goer - an East End boy that likes it hard, and he gets it that way. - The productions are full of warmth, laughter and silliness. This may not be an explicit item on the feminist agenda, but it's a notable feature of most women-driven porn. Not only does this stick a well-deserved finger up at the stereotypes about women and humour, it suggests that everyone involved was having fun, which is, in my opinion, one of the sexiest things money can't buy.
Some pro-porn feminists may find things to criticise - there's a healthy dollop of male gaze mixed in, as well as a smattering of tired pornographic stalwarts, like double penetration scenes or the blowjob-and-big-eyes shot of a woman's face. But Arrowsmith was a pioneer, and her work set the stage for the increasing number of independent, women-driven, female-gaze porn which have been gaining momentum ever since.
As a fellow feminist, liberal activist and aspiring producer, I wish Anna Arrowsmith the best of luck in this election - even though it sounds like her seat will be a tricky one to win. Even if she doesn't, her candidacy has generated some excellent publicity not only for the Lib Dems, but for feminist porn. Weeks like this, it feels like social change may be possible after all.





Truly a fascinating story from many angles.
ReplyDeleteNot least of which is the future political prospects of one Pandora Blake, who we already know is a very politically-aware young lady.
That said, I can imagine Fleet Street would have a field day with any politico with SM leanings. Still, it could be a case of "no publicity is bad publicity", and what might first appear "negative" will pay off in prominence and attention.
I think there's increasing tolerance for diverse lifestyles these days but a still a deep-seated aversion to lying by public officials.
So may openness is the key...
Do you mean to tell me that Ron "The Hedgehog" Jeremy doesn't waddle in to the last shot of each scene to take his droit de siegneur of the "Talent"?
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Anna is extremely talented and has brought a new vision to Porn in the UK but, where's the Effing Hedgehog?
I'm sorry. If there's no Ron Jeremy, there's no Porn.
Wow. I haven't been aware of Anna Span's body of work, but the descriptions make it sound like just the type of stuff I like: with real people who also happen to have smoking-hot sex.
ReplyDeleteShame it's vanilla. So hurry up and open your site, 'cause I want my female-gaze spanking porn.
Pandora for President! Or, you know, Queen or whatever it is you have over in the UK.
ReplyDeleteThis is a seriously cool story. (And I'm so glad you pointed out the stupidity of the "stereotypes about women and humour." It's probably a subject for another post, but I particularly resent that idea. Not least because a majority of the most hilarious people I know are chicks.)
Best of luck to Anna... and future Queen Pandora : )
Excellent summation, if I'm allowed to say so. I'm due a spanking from you, and you administered it most efficiently.
ReplyDeleteMy words were perhaps capable of misinterpretation. Honestly, I wasn't "sneering". What I really meant (and from what I read of her words, Anna would agree) is that the political side is ultimately a side-issue, because her intention is to make films that turn people on. That is in itself a political statement, I suppose. She said in the F-word interview that, unlike Candida Royalle in her early films, she didn't foreground the social/political statement. That's what I was basing my assessment on. I also recall a TV interview with her some years ago in which she said more-or-less the same thing.
The real point was that her claim - justified of course - to be making films from a feminist viewpoint (and also the humorous titles like Hug A Hoodie and Hoxton Honeys) offered the media an opportunity to discuss her porn work without really discussing the nitty-gritty, and I was interested in the fact that they grabbed it. It could, after all, have gone the other way, with more focus on the DP scenes and suchlike.
Something else that occurs to me is that AA would find it easier to get into Parliament than she would if she wanted to be a teacher or social worker, and this came out - especially given recent New Labour vetting laws. The largely positive response to her candidacy shows that the public is more open-minded than the politicians.
Section9,
ReplyDeleteYour description of this Hedgehog character is totally hilarious. I wonder if Anna will try to include Mr. Jeremy (or someone playing his part) in future shoots. Wouldn't that be a total hoot?
Perhaps the singular appeal of this "hedgehog" character is that his performance is so free of artifice. I mean, he's fucking "the talent" because he genuinely wants to, and not because it's his job! How refreshing.
Hi. Nice blog. Blog hopping. :) Can you visit my blog too, and leave some comments? :D
ReplyDeleteKarl - Well, I don't have any plans. But it's nice to know my options might be more open than I've assumed.
ReplyDeleteSome people have criticised Arrowsmith and the Lib Dems, arguing that because her seat is so unlikely a win, her revelations are purely a publicity stunt. I find such arguments tedious. If she'd kept it quiet, there would have been outrage at her "sordid secrets". Please. Is no-one with an unusual career history allowed to put themselves forward for a hard-to-win seat, now?
section9 - you are a strange, strange little munchkin. May Ron impose his prickly self on all your hot little fantasies.
Adele - they stock it in Sh! It's downstairs next to the changing rooms, and you can put DVDs on and play them while your friend is getting changed, as I did on Saturday while my friend March was trying on harnesses and corsets. Her films are very, very sweet. Exactly as I thought they would be, in fact. Lots of giggling, beautiful lighting, lovely realistic characters and scenarios - in fact they're more documentary style than anything else, with Anna carrying a hand held cam and talking to the protagonists as if she were a mate of their's, just hanging out ... and when the sex starts she sort of fades into the background and the camera work is as unobtrusive as possible. Also, can I just give a shout out for women-led porn with ACTUAL ORGASMS in it? Oh, man.
As for female-gaze spanking porn, I'm working on it! Still want to shoot with you...
Graham, GRAHAM, I was at Women's Question Time at Parliament this evening, with female politicians answering questions on feminist political issues, and the ENTIRE AUDIENCE HATED PORN. They were anti-sex work, anti-legalisation, anti-porn, anti-Arrowsmith. There was lots of jeering and it was really upsetting. :( :( :(
On the plus side, Caroline Lucas (CAROLINE LUCAS FOR PRESIDENT, omg seriously, she is SO AWESOME [although she kind of hates porn too, but I bet I could talk her round, she's generally very sensible]) suggested that London should have statues of women who make people laugh, like Jo Brand. I like Josie Long better but OMG THAT WOULD BE SO COOL.
Do you know Sarah Haskin's work? I think you'd like her.
Speaking of hilarious chicks, I fucking adore your sense of humour. You are one of the most awesomely, snarkily, originally witty people I know. Srsly. :)
Heresiarch - Okay, I can sort of see where you were coming from based on her comments in interview. I still think the "in all honesty, it isn't" comment was unjustified, though. Have you seen any of her work? You can buy it for £20 a DVD in Sh! in Shoreditch, but you'll need to find a female friend to go in with you. I think you might find it enlightening.
Interestingly, a lot of feminists seem less impressed by her claims about making porn more approachable to women. I know that porn and sex work are the big divide in feminism, but there was a very hostile audience at WQT tonight, and Lynn Featherstone totally failed to explain the Lib Dem's position. They seemed to think that the media was eating up the "SEX" part of her work and dismissing the feminism part as pure fabrication, because how could porn ever be feminist? Of course I strongly disagree, but maybe they're right in some cases. Do the tabloids really support feminism enough for that to make a difference, or are they just delighted at the opportunity to legitimately talk about porn?
Heresiarch - Wanted to add that I suspect you're right about the difference between politics and other career paths. If I (say) wanted to run as a local counsellor, I'm pretty sure that being Pandora wouldn't be a deal-breaker. If I wanted to foster kids? You can bet I'd have a fight on my hands.
ReplyDelete