Thursday, October 07, 2010

Fetish clubbing in London

A couple of people have asked me for recommendations of fetish clubs lately. I'm also looking for a new club that suits all my requirements, and have just spent an hour or so looking through listings of active clubs to see what might fit.

I didn't think my requirements were that picky, but I can't seem to find anywhere that ticks all the boxes. I'm looking for a club which:

- Has a strict fetish dresscode. I don't mean that spending lots of money is mandatory, but I go to fetish clubs as a voyeur/exhibitionist as well as a player, and I like to feel that the other attendees are as keen to express themselves creatively in their outfit as I am. If everyone has put lots of effort and imagination into looking interesting and sexy, it makes for a better atmosphere and a more exhilirating, otherworldly experience.

- Permits sex. Kink and sex are almost indistinguishable for me. I very very rarely play with people I'm not interested in fucking (roleplay and performing in films/photoshoots are the exception here) and the type of play I enjoy at clubs is intrinsically sexual. Moreover, a lot of my D/s experience is explicitly sexual, and I like being able to explore and enjoy that when I'm at a club rather than having to suppress half my kinky sexuality; it feels artificial and kind of prudish.

Other boxes it would be good to tick include: stylish, glossy venue; culture of good etiquette; no "wanky men"; good dance music (by which I don't mean electro or funky house - I like to dance to hard house, happy hardcore, trance and psytrance, drum and bass).

So what are the options if you're going out in London? I'll start with listing the clubs I've actually been to:


Torture Garden
The biggest, glossiest, most expensive fetish club in the UK. I've been to this more than any other. It's not a play club so much as a voyeur's club. People go to look and be looked at, and the outfits are amazing. But they always overfill venues and sell too many tickets; it's overcrowded, takes ages to move between rooms, and is full of people who are there to stare and aren't scene kinksters who understand the etiquette. I've never gone to a TG and not been groped by a stranger, normally in the press of bodies as you're trying to move between rooms. The overcrowding also makes it almost impossible to play - there isn't space in the dungeon to swing an implement, even if you can manage to get to a piece of furniture, and there are usually a frustrating number of people sitting on fetish furniture rather than using it. I've had some fantastic sex in various rooms of the club, but the couples room is often overcrowded. Still, the performances are worth watching, and it was my club of choice while it still played decent dance music. Unfortunately the music policy changing to favour dirty electro has tipped the balance, and these days I have less patience for the crowds, the wanky men, the pushy drunks, and the people who have no concept of scene etiquette.

Club Subversion
I'm very fond of Subversion even though it doesn't permit sex. Mostly this is because of the atmosphere: it's extremely relaxed and friendly. Everyone there is a real person, there to play and participate, and I've always found it a great place to make new kinky friends. It's well-equipped and the standard of play is high, people dress up and I very rarely have any trouble with people breaching etiquette. I've never danced there, but it's more of a social experience for me anyway. I do get frustrated by not being able to conclude sexy scenes in the way that feels most natural, though. I don't intend to stop going to Subversion, but I want to find a more pro-sex club to complement it.

Club Antichrist
Antichrist is a good laugh - it's half goth/industrial dance club, and half fetish club. As such, it can be a bit weird if you've spent time on the London goth scene bumping into acquaintances you aren't used to seeing (and may not want to see) in a kinky context. The dresscode is pretty broad - goth jeans and trainers are permitted - but most people make an effort. Sex is permitted, but most people don't. The play area is quite small, and the feeling that half the people are there for the music rather than the play can make you feel a bit self-conscious.

This morning, D and I have been looking through clubs we haven't been to in search of one that appeals. Here's what we've made of the choices so far:

Festival of Sins
This is hosting an event this Saturday, which is what put it into mind. It looks interesting, but we were put off by the small play area and description of the dungeon:

"Rather than a traditional dungeon, we have the Tales of Sin. In the middle of the Tales of Sins room, there is a sinful play area equipped with luscious dungeon equipment. This is surrounded by intimate booths themed around each of the deadly sins. You can explore these delightfully ever-changing corners of fantasy to create your own tale of sin."

I don't know about you, but I imagine those booths as full throughout the night with drinkers, and nowhere left to play. They don't permit sex, either, and the music policy seems to be similar to TG's.

Club Decadence
Penny went to this recently, which was what put it in mind; she spoke highly of the erotic shows and performances. It has a couples room and dresscode. There isn't much info about the music (although it does seem to lean towards funky electro), but it might be worth a try at some point.

Club Hades
People describe Hades as a serious play club. The emphasis is on play and more play, with a very free dress code and less in the way of decor and dancefloor than other clubs. Etiquette is strictly enforced, including silence if you're watching scenes in the edge play room. This is a club I would go to with Tom, I think, or someone who would be interested in going out just to play rather than as part of a bigger clubbing experience. They don't permit sex, though, so maybe not.

Club Rub
Club Rub initially looks very promising - the Lightbox is an extremely shiny venue, the dresscode seems similarly glossy, and I've heard good things about it. Unfortunately, it disappoints on music ("sexy house", which has never ever described anything I could actually enjoy dancing to) and on prudishness (their NO SEX rule is very strongly worded). It might be worth a visit at some point, especially if they do something similar to last month's British Empire and CP theme in the future, but it looks unlikely to suit D and me.

Fetish Swingers
Hard to tell whether this could suit us or not, as the website is hopelessly out of date. The old venue included a spa and sauna, but there's no information on the site about their new venue or future events, and I don't know if it's still active.

Club Pedestal
This is heavily focussed on female domination, and as such isn't quite the right scene for me and a male dom. I might go with Penny sometime, but I'd be concerned about both of us being overwhelmed by pushy male subs.

Club Spectacular
This has a very goodlooking venue and dress code, but no information about whether sex is permitted. The website is remarkably thin on information, in fact, including about future events. I'd appreciate any info from anyone who's been to this.

The F Club
This was recommended to me by Amy Hunter and Leia Ann Woods, who have both enjoyed it. It's a membership only club which runs fetish and swingers nights. There's no clear guidance on the music policy, or whether sex is permitted at the fetish nights (although it seems likely in context). The membership fees are somewhat high - although less if you're buying as a couple, and they seem to be reduced for Fetlife/LFS/IC members, so this might be worth investigating at some point.

Kinky Salon
As recommended by Filament Magazine. This looks damn near perfect: overtly queer and trans-friendly (most fetish clubs are, but I tend like the atmosphere of the ones that make a point of it), focussed on artistic expression and creativity, fun, a bit different, with safe sex explicitly permitted and a sensible code of conduct. I don't know how much spanking or BDSM play there'd be, but it seems like it would be fun to find out. You need to introduce yourself before you can buy a ticket, and unfortunately D's last attempt to begin this process met with no reply. It seems worth pursuing, though, so I'll chase them and let you know how I get on.

This post is intended as an information resource (albeit limited!) to interested people, as well as a call for help finding something that suits me. So if you have any recommendations to make, fire away - but it would be awesome if you could also comment with your experiences of any of these clubs you've been to, to help others make an informed choice.

Anyone interested in fetish clubbing in London but who doesn't know where to start looking should sign up to the London Fetish Scene website (if you can get past the prohibitively difficult captcha!) and spent some time on the forums there. It's also a good round-up of current fetish clubs and forthcoming events.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:50 PM

    Very nice, informative post. I'm sorry that I'm not in London or even England...

    May I ask how you dress when you go to a club?

    How do you like to see men dressed?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. simon7:12 PM

    all i can say is i wish i lived in london as there are no clubs like that were i live else i would be out every night.love simon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this is *very* useful. Thank you very much. :-)

    I was having an interested look at Club Isis's website - have you heard much about that? Or does anyone else here have any experience of it they'd care to share? From the website I like how friendly and non-wanky it seems to be, though from the photos the venue doesn't look that smart, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:39 PM

    not connected really ... but not sure where to post ... i wonder ... do you know Nicky Montford. Do you know how she manages to take those amazing floggings without flinching?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you tweeted about this:

    "Looking for a fetish club in London with a strict dress code and stylish venue/decor, which permits sex. And isn't TG. Any suggestions?"

    I took TG to mean transgender. I thought: "what's she got against transgender?"

    Now, I see that you meant Torture Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was interested to read the comment: "all i can say is i wish i lived in london as there are no clubs like that were i live else i would be out every night." (Quoted SIC.)

    The fact is that I do live in London, and have never been to any of these clubs. I wondered why not. Back in the day, I used to go to Kinki Girlinki, and considered (at that time) going to Torture Garden, but never got round to it. (Torture Garden has been around for a long while!)

    And now? On reflection, I think it comes down to income and age.

    I have never had a well paying job, and now live on pension credit. While I could maybe afford, occasionally, the admission to one of these clubs, I could certainly not afford to buy a latex ballgown. Of course, I could wear something cheaper, but where is the fun in being outshone by all of the others?

    As to age, it occurs to me that, twenty years ago, had I owned such a thing, I would have been up for the long process of working my way into a latex ballgown. Now, to be honest, I just couldn't be arsed with it.

    I can see why Pandora wants a strict dress code, though. I recall, years ago, being in a place that evidently had nothing of the kind. There were only three or four of us who had made any effort. I felt like an animal in a zoo, which was less pleasant than it may sound. It occurred to me that I should have been paid to be there, rather than paying to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:15 PM

    Pandora

    You are one outstanding spanking model with a long record of excellent blogging. Side by side with Niki who regrettably has left the scene. I read your post on clubbing with interest and envy.

    Apropos Niki, I recently saw a chat from 2005 on hard spankings where she posted a few pictures of her bottom post-spanking with Lupus. In those days, some die-hard stupids still presumed that the caning strokes were faked. The caning scene has come a long way since then.

    Best of luck with your new venture,

    /Max

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:54 PM

    We went to Festival of Sins last night and it was one of the worst fetish events I've been to in years. It was incredibly loud everywhere, the only place you could actually talk was out on the street in the smoking area.

    The only place to sit down was a single sofa at the back of the dungeon space, right next to the PA stack, if you have people wearing heels all evening they need somewhere to rest now and then.

    The dungeon was also the main thoroughfare between the main areas, so people were walking through it all the time which you wouldn't want to play in, I wouldn't even get the floggers out in that space.

    Another space had a single piece of play kit in the middle and nothing else, complete waste of space, move the rest of the dungeon down there where people aren't going through it and turn the music down. If you can't hear yourself shout you can't hear anything from your target, not a great idea when you're playing.

    The guy doing performance poi was rubbish, our friends are all much better, the guy with the violet wand looked bored silly. There really wasn't any where I'd consider playing.

    Oh and there were groups of blokes walking around in jeans and t-shirts making comments about the kinky people, if you're going to have a dress code, at least have some level of enforcement. Felt really strange with them around, kind of 'let's go check out the freak show'.

    We left after an hour and won't be going back.

    We've friends who go to Isis and, now that it's moved from a Friday to a Saturday we might actually be able to make it. Heathrow Dungeon looks interesting and there are a couple of other small, more play oriented clubs we're looking at. I hear good things about club O&I in east London too.

    Our search for other play clubs continues too.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PAT - Hrm, big questions! What I wear varies wildly. Sometimes I wear expensive fetish garments, other times I construct something out of interesting bits and pieces in my wardrobe. Past outfits have included Victorian underwear; a period riding jacket with stockings and boots; a red and white latex nurse's dress with red shiny heels and matching hair extensions; many variations on the schoolgirl theme; various black PVC minidresses; Eve; a celtic goddess. Corsetry, latex, PVC, period costume and bodypaint are common themes. Mostly it's about creating a fantasy, showing lots of skin, and ridiculous fetish heels (6" plus) which make me tower over all three of my dominants - my big kinky platform boots are also a favourite.

    I love it when men as much effort as women, and I try to theme my outfits with my partner when I can. I love to see blokes in period costume (mmmm Mr Darcy!), but D looks hot in a short skirt and open waistcoat, so it depends on the chap to some extent. Formalwear is good; fancy dress is good; revealing outfits are good. But anything more imaginative than leather trousers and a black t-shirt is a bonus!

    Simon - well, I no longer live in London! There are fetish clubs all over the country - they're mostly in cities, but it's worth googling to see if there's anything going on near you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ophelia - Isis is the one that used to be Goddess, isn't it? I went a couple of times in its previous incarnation - it was small, friendly, and populated by people I knew, which was a bonus, but there was almost no play space. I'd be very interested to hear what their new (well, not really new any more!) event is like if you do decide to go.

    George - I know Nicky online, yeah. She has a blog and a twitter account if you'd like to ask her a question directly - http://nickysdreams.blogspot.com/ and http://twitter.com/nickymontford

    Pet - Oh dear, I can see why that would have been confusing! Nope, trans people are all good with me :)

    I know what you mean about income and age - clubbing definitely involves a certain mindset which tends to be common to the young, if you're to have patience with the faff of transport and nightbuses and so forth. But all my favourite clubs have people from all ages, and some of my best clubbing friends are in their 40s, 50s or 60s, so it's certainly possible to keep that going with age (I intend to!)

    Being able to splash out on couture fetishwear is a nice treat, but I've only managed it a couple of times in my life, and even then it's been second hand. I've been going fetish clubbing since I was a skint sixth former, though (don't tell anyone) with the help of ebay and some imagination. It's possible to make a corset out of gaffa tape and to do creative things with bodypaint, scissors, charity shops and a bit of creativity. If I was limited to only wearing designer fetish brands I'd only go out once every five years! Don't feel you have to be outshone just because you're on a budget - a bit of time and imagination can go a long way.

    I totally hear you on feeling like a zoo exhibit when you're out with people who haven't made the effort. That's exactly the experience I'm trying to avoid, these days.

    Max - thanks for your comment and good wishes! Niki did some amazing outreach within the scene, and dispelled almost as many myths as sprang up around her! Her work is very much missed.

    J - thanks for posting your review here - I'm really sorry FoS was such a downer. We'd love to come to Heathrow Dungeon with you sometime, although one of my email correspondents informs me that the last time he tried to attend, they were taking real name ID on the door, which might put some people off. Probably not me, though.

    Other clubs I want to try atm include Club Fuck, the F Club, Club Spectacular and After Pandora - let us know if you're interested in any of these and we'll try and find a date that suits us both. I have some very fond memories of being out on the town with you and it's always a pleasure to watch you and your floggers in action :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. An update on Kinky Salon - it turns out that one of the organisers is a blast from my past, and so (awesome as the event seems to be!) I'm not sure it would be a comfortable experience for me to attend with a partner at this point in time. They've recommended After Pandora to us, since apparently Kinky Salon isn't (despite the name) particularly BDSM-oriented, so I'l follow that up at some point and let you know how I find it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails