Sunday, June 08, 2008

with the flat of a sword

I had a delightful dream last night, full of pirates and conspiracy and being on the run out of Manhattan in a huge inflatable dinghy with spies and freedom fighters. At one point, one of the pirates broke an article of the pirate code and was duly punished by the pirate captain: eight hard strokes, applied on the bare with the flat of the captain's sword. The welts that blossomed under the tempered steel were very distinctive; raised white and purple weals fading to red at the edges.

Now, despite both my doms being experienced fencers, I've never been beaten with the flat of a sword. Neither of them has fenced for years, and these days their hectic work schedules mean we don't get the chance to play as often as we'd like - and when we do, we tend to stick to what we know works. So I have no way of knowing whether or not the dramatic welts my subconscious produced were realistic or not.

I've googled, but to no avail: the internet doesn't seem to have any photos of people being spanked with swords; the closest I could find was a reference to the Bride's fight with Crazy 88 in Kill Bill, where she sends the last man standing on his way with a humiliating smack to the arse with her sword - but over clothes, disappointingly. I also found a couple of fantasy porn stories which mentioned sword spankings, but in my opinion nothing can rival the formative scene in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which affected me deeply when I first read it aged 7, and which has stayed with me ever since.

It's early on in the book, before Eustace's transformative experience on Dragon Island, when he's going out of his way to make himself objectionable to everyone on board. He particularly dislikes Reepicheep, the chivalrous talking Mouse, and one day Eustace sneaks up behind Reepicheep on the deck and swings him round by the tail. Reep stabs him in the hand, and then faces Eustance, brandishing his rapier and challenging him to a duel:

"Why do you not draw your own sword, poltroon!" cheeped the Mouse. "Draw and fight or I'll beat you black and blue with the flat."

"I haven't got one," said Eustace. "I'm a pacifist. I don't believe in fighting."

"Do I understand," said Reepicheep, withdrawing his sword for a moment and speaking very sternly, "that you do not intend to give me satisfaction?"

"I don't know what you mean," said Eustace, nursing his hand. "If you don't know how to take a joke I shan't bother my head about you."

"Then take that," said Reepicheep, "and that - to teach you manners - and the respect due to a knight - and a Mouse - and a Mouse's tail -" and at each word he gave Eustace a blow with the side of his rapier, which was thin, fine dwarf-tempered steel and as supple and effective as a birch rod. Eustace (of course) was at a school where they didn't have corporal punishment, so the sensation was quite new to him. That was why, in spite of having no sea-legs, it took him less than a minute to get off that forecastle and cover the whole length of the deck and burst in at the cabin door - still hotly pursued by Reepicheep. Indeed it seemed to Eustace that the rapier as well as the pursuit was hot. It might have been red-hot by the feel.

There was not much difficulty in settling the matter once Eustace realised that everyone took the idea of a duel quite seriously and heard Caspian offering to lend him a sword, and Drinian and Edmund discussing whether he ought to be handicapped in some way to make up for his being so much bigger than Reepicheep. He apologized sulkily and went off with Lucy to have his hand bathed and bandaged and then went to his bunk. He was very careful to lie on his side.

- C. S. Lewis, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"

Eustace doesn't earn himself a beating again, although before he reforms he comes close one more time, when Reepicheep catches him trying to steal water from the ship's rations. The incident is reported in Eustace's diary:

"I had to apologize or the dangerous little brute would have been at me with his sword. And then Caspian showed up in his true colours as a brutal tyrant and said out loud for everyone to hear that anyone found "stealing" water in future would "get two dozen". I didn't know what this meant till Edmund explained it to me. It comes in the sort of books those Pevensie kids read."

Which I always thought was a nice little meta-textual reference: of course any child reading the Narnia books would know what it means, too.

However, even wonderful excerpts like this don't help with the question of what the marks look like. I imagine it depends on the sword - rapier welts would look very different from those left by a flatter blade. I'll try and persuade one of my boyfriends to introduce me to the sensation (and hopefully take some photos for you while I'm at it. I might even dress up in a wench outfit), but if any of you can find pictorial evidence to assuage my curiousity in the meantime, I'll be a very happy girl. And it'd hopefully give me some idea what to expect ...

10 comments:

  1. I can tell you anecdotally that it is apparently a hugely bad ideal to whack someone hard across the ass with a fencing foil for losing some pseudo-macho drinking game.

    Apparently it scars. :D

    I'd imagine the sword would be better. I've been walloped with a bokken a few times before. It's pretty solid, as hitty sticks go. :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken a few from a Roman style short sword (stage prop, blunt edges)
    I would describe it "not lightweight" the marks where widespread bruising not dissimilar from a heavy wooden paddle (but you have to know that I have always marked badly).

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - Is a foil different from a rapier? Having chatted to both of the domly personages about this yesterday, they both reckon that C S Lewis doesn't know what he's on about, and that a rapier is massively inappropriate as a spanking implement. (Or maybe that's the idea, and Reep is just being REALLY mean...) I think rapier's are sort of square? So they do have a "flat", but it's not, er, very flat.

    I imagine a bokken would feel much like a proper walking cane - made entirely of thud :) Very dramatic, but not terribly interesting, senssation-wise ... although I have to say I do like night sticks. I haven't been able to play with one since a scene at Torture Garden a couple of years ago that left me marked for about six weeks and interfered with two shoots I'd lined up ... I probably wouldn't bruise that dramatically now, but still! :)

    Prefectdt - Mm, I think that's exactly the kind of thing Tom's thinking of. We are hopefully going to try this soon :) I have no illusions about it being lightweight, but hey, I still want to try :) I will however take your warning to heart, and not experiment when I have a shoot coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rapier would be perfect! It's light and flexible. A broadsword would basically be like a club (outing myself as a former - LONG TIME AGO WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER - D&D player, there's a reason you use the flat of your blade against skeleton warriors! Whack! Crumble...)

    I'd buy a reenactment sword with a blunt edge to use. Something like this:

    http://www.realarmorofgod.com/store/html/Products/Swords/Functional-Swords/Renaissance/Functional-Rapier-63.html

    Since I'm Renaissance obsessed (god, I am a sad twat, aren't I?) I would be hugely excited to see such pictures!

    http://renaissancebabes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, rapiers have a flat bit, but it's pretty thin in width.
    A fencing foil, AFAIK, is more whippy. But solid metal. Bonus cutting joy!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Foil-2004-A.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:50 PM

    I actually came to have a discussion of the technicalities of this with a friend last year, when putting together a story (well, a backstory for our LARP characters...) featuring a flat-of-the-sword paddling. She claimed, referring to experience from SCA and reenactment fighting where she'd taken a lot of hits to the area in question with blunt sword-like implements, that while it can hurt like all hell you don't usually bruise a lot. It's mostly a bit like being whacked with a cricket bat, apparently. Since the story required her character to have to spend a few days in bed face down as a result, mine had to really have laid on in earnest... :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a nice wooden sword that I bought when I was once acting in a pantomime. Stuck for a new instrument of pleasure one day. I used that on Nomi's wonderful bottom much to her surprise, and then her delight and its now in the bag of tricks full time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:24 AM

    Check out the move "Young Catherine" from 1991. Contains a scene where the mad Russian Grand Duke spanks Catherine (Julia Ormond) with the flat of her own sword. You can find this clip on several of the spanking in mainstream movie sites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reepicheep's sword, as illustrated by Pauline Baynes at any rate, is a small-sword. Lewis would have been unlikely to distinguish between the two types anyway; most people today think of small-swords as rapiers.

    The problem with rapiers as spanking tools is that the edges are very sharp, and relatively close together; you could get some nasty cuts without swinging too hard. A small-sword has no sharp edges at all, being a point-only weapon; it is therefore effectively a metal cane, made of very high-quality and therefore very *springy* steel.

    A typical rapier weighs three pounds; that's a very heavy implement to be hit with whether sharp or not. A typical small-sword weighs around 2lbs.

    A modern fencing foil is virtually identical in the relevant characteristics to a small-sword. However, Amy, I suspect that the key point in your anecdote is 'hard' across the ass; which would, indeed, be likely to cause serious wounding.

    As Lewis quite accurately identifies, the reason Reep's eventual treatment of Edmund is effective is that Reep has good blade control and is using the small-sword like a very stingy and also very penetrating cane, which would certainly get someone's attention

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's taken a fair while, but it looks like I've finally managed to find a picture of a young lady getting a firm spank from a swordsman.

    http://renaissancebabes.blogspot.com/2008/07/spanking-swords.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails