Monday, January 26, 2009

Yes we CAAN

Shamefully, I'd never been to Parliament Square before. I followed Penny's confident lead as we got the bus from Leicester Square, and dashed across the busy roads to the island in the centre, which as far as I could tell has no legal crossing to it. At first glance, the CAAN protest seemed to be huge - it took me a minute to figure out that most of what I was seeing was the demos against violence in Sri Lanka and Gaza, and Brian Haw's infamous seven-year peace protest against the war in Iraq. Next to the stalls and placards about human rights atrocities, our cause seemed a little petty.

But there were already a healthy crowd of kinksters, and over the next three hours the group expanded impressively. It was great to see Amy again, and various other friends in the goth/alternative scene. Once I'd arrived D. pointed out to me the gorgeous, young-looking redhead standing out from the crowd. "Can we take her home?" he quipped, slipping an arm around my waist. Spotting cute boys and girls is a favourite pastime of ours.

"Sure!" I grinned, not realising that the young lady we were so cheerfully perving over was in fact Irelynn. I didn't recognise her until she came up and introduced herself. (I think she deserves a prize for making it to the demo on her own from the other end of the country, even braving the terror of London buses in the process.) She is, of course, even lovelier in person, and an interesting internal battle between my protective instincts and wicked thoughts ensued. But I managed to behave myself, and not scare her too much. (I hope!)

There seemed to be some internal debate about whether it was better to protest in attention-grabbing outfits, or while seeming as "normal" as possible so as not to alienate passers-by, but I think it was good to have a mix. Our placards attracted quite a lot of attention. Especially mine. I had several compliments on it, mostly from people who looked blankly at me when I made a comment about lolcats, so at least I know it made sense to people who didn't get the geeky internet in-joke. :)





The placards either side of me read: "Get your filthy laws off me" and "The internet is for porn" respectively. Both of which sentiments I heartily endorse. My other favourite slogan of the day was "Make Love Not Laws" - simple but effective.

There seemed to be a healthy number of reporters present, including a camera crew, and a handful of journalists from national press to local student papers. I gave a couple of quotes, but was too shy to do a video interview. I'll be interested to see how many of the articles make it to print.

The Register published a balanced and entertaining response to the new law over the weekend, which gives the sound advice previously published by Backlash a wider audience. I was also heartened to read a couple of sympathetic articles in the Independent after the protests in December. The bill has already been passed: it's too late to change that. But the true test of legislation that's vaguely worded is legal precedent. The only hope we have now is to persuade juries and Justices that there is no correlation between looking at sadistic porn and committing abuse; that depiction harms no-one, and that a hard-line interpretation of this law constitutes an infringement of civil liberties.

In the meantime, I'm going to have a little lie-down and enjoy some of the extreme and violent images which I keep stored in my brain. Big Brother may be watching me masturbate, but the government can't do a damn thing to stop me looking at those.

9 comments:

  1. These weekend in the Irish Sunday Independent lifestyle magazine there was a cover story about BDSM that's generating a lot of conversation on the local boards. The subtitle was "People on the Irish fetish scene aren't hurting anyone, except each other." which I thought was clever. While the kinksters I know had reservations about the article, I found it encouraging in that it was overall a positive (if not normalizing) look at the lifestyle. People in Ireland are watching the developments in these laws very carefully, because the government here often takes its cues from what England is doing. I'm glad people like you over there are standing up on this important issue.

    And the signs are hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:28 AM

    Awesome sign! I hope the best for you and your friends.
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely chose the right slogan. It's good to hear about those who braved the weather to make the protest, you all deserve a big well done.

    While looking for news items about the protest, on Sunday, I came across this article, http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Jail-for-downloading-39extreme39-sex.4888459.jp
    Unfortunately it looks like the Scottish parliament is going to follow Westminster, like a poodle on a lead.

    This is what is most worrying about this, cheap shot politicians around the world trying to score easy points with the "Moral dictators" by copying the the laws passes in Westminster.

    Enjoy your uncensored mental fantasies :-)

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! the address did not come out the article was at news.scotsman.com dated 19th January 2009.

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sign, Pandora! More important, I'm glad people are speaking out.

    The news on this side of the Atlantic was a little better this week, as the (more than a little Right Wing) Supreme Court refused to hear a case regarding an internet porn law passed in 1998 and never enforced due to legal challenges.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/opinion/27tue2.html?hp

    It's damned difficult to let cooler legislative heads prevail when we claim to be interested in protecting children. Thank goodness the judiciary got this one right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Hmm.. I wonder, what will my prize be then, if I deserve one? Does it involve lots and lots of chocolate? Because if it does, I'll promise not to be scared of you. ;-)

    It was lovely meeting you too, and all the others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irelynn: Pandora mentioned my vast collection of chocolate, of course. Didn't she? Feel free to drop in for a taste next time you're in town ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:17 AM

    I used to be a protestor in London, but I wouldn't dare to today. Policing has gotso much tougher than the Vietnam war days and there are so many excuses for the police to arrest you. Therefore congratulations to all of you who had the courage to protest against what seems to be a stupid law. For the facts are, despite what certain feminists claim, watching porn or spanking or whatever does not turn people into rapists and murderers.

    Cheers, Patrick.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails