two PSAs
A couple of quick blogkeeping announcements:
1. I host my website and email on Tom's server, and it went offline unexpectedly on Saturday. He's not very well at the moment, so I didn't want to pester him about fixing it. D. helped me transfer my email to his server, and it was up and running again almost instantly. If you emailled me on Friday or Saturday and haven't got a reply, it might be worth re-sending your mail just in case.
In the meantime, don't be surprised if images don't work on this blog. I've uploaded photos from the last few entries to a mirror, so it should only be older entries that are affected. As soon as Tom's regained access to his server, I'll be transferring my website and all my images to D.'s server, as I think it's a better option, but that'll have to wait until Tom's recovered.
2. I'd just about got used to the fact that blogspot was going around slapping ugly, annoying "Content Warning" pages on blogs which contained adult content (which is, er, all of us? But some of us have managed to slip through the net so far...). However, for the last week or so attempts to click through from this annoying page to the actual blog have been met by failure. The Content Warning page simply reloads time after time, as if mocking me. So I'm sorry if I'm not leaving comments on your posts. I shall continue to try, whilst smiting my keyboard in despair, and planning to migrate to Wordpress.





I don't get the blogger warning for your page, Pandora. Wish I could say the same for everyone else's..
ReplyDeleteHope Tom recovers soon.
I now host all my blogs on my own server space. Blogspot is getting flaky and because of the 18+ page your posts are not indexed as well by search engines. Thumblogger lost 6 months of one of my blogs when it was hacked so that blog is now also hosted in-house.
ReplyDeleteOne advantage of hosting in-house is being able to use Wordpress with all the great add-ons it now has.
US-based server space is not expensive and gives you the freedom to build the blogs and sites without having to second-guess Google/blogspot's ever-changing censoreship rules.
No, I've managed to escape so far. There are entries on Ludwig's and Olivia's blogs which I've been trying to view for days now with no success. Definitely reason enough to leave blogger, in my book.
ReplyDeleteAFAIK you can work around this by going to the root URL, clicking "Continue", getting the warning, and then accessing the root URL *again*.
ReplyDeleteEven though you get an error on click the session cookie appears to work anyway.
WordPress is definitely a better option, but make sure you spend some time installing the necessary plugins (e.g. Smart Update Pinger, TypePad Antispam, Advanced SEO, Google Analytics, Flexible Upload).
The adult warning thing is self imposed, unless someone reports your blog, AFAIK. You have to tick a box stating whether or not you have adult material on your blog.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it was always there though, which is why the newer blogs have it as standard (unless their authors just decide to risk it and not tick the box) and the older ones don't, so much. I ended up doing it to be on the safe side, but will be shifting to another server at some point. When I get around to getting another domain name and borrowing some server space.
I have a cunning plan. See email (if you get it).
ReplyDeleteSpanked hubby posted about people saying that they could not get through to his blog, one of his commenters said that using one of the Mozilla based web browsers solves the problem. I use Flock (www.flock.com) which is Mozilla based and free to download. The content warning sites have been taking a little longer to appear on the screen, for the last few days, but I have been able to get through to them all.
ReplyDeletePrefectdt