Japanese rope bondage ... and PIRATES
I've just ordered issue 4 of Filament magazine. In fact, seeing as I've bought every issue so far, I've just bought a four-issue subscription, keeping me in tasteful, stimulating eye-candy and brain-food for the whole of the next year. Yay!
Filament is a ground-breaking magazine for women, predicated on the radical idea that women have eyes and brains too, and deserve to be spoken to as if they were intelligent human beings. It's an active rejection of the damaging mode of women's mag stuffed with talk of diets, celeb gossip and "how to please your man in bed" (what about pleasing yourself in bed?). Instead, Filament combines thoughtful, varied articles on subjects ranging from the 18th century politics of STDs, to what it's like being a female pro-wrestler, to how to explore pegging with a willing chap. Not every article is about (or by) women, but they are written from and for a female perspective.
Then there's the sexually explicit content. Filament was been rejected by a number of retaillers for displaying photography of men on the cover - rather blatantly highlighting the double standards at work in our culture - and when they released their second issue, which included a photoset showing a male erection, they caused a much bigger outcry. But they've persisted, and I can attest that the explicit photography in Issues 2 and 3 is delicious, even for a queer old pervert like me.
The criticisms which suggest that in showcasing erotic, female gaze, heterosexual photography Filament is just as sexist as the norms it rejects are lazy to say the least - particularly when that criticism comes from people who have not, in fact, read Filament. Filament's erotic photography separates itself from the empty sexism of mainsteam porn with its focus on context and character; the sensitive, positive model interviews; the idea that these men are attractive not only for their physical beauty, but for their personality, their talents, their whole selves. The nude male models are pictured doing things like painting pictures or spinning fire poi (an impressive feat while not wearing any clothes) - they aren't just cocks with limbs attached. (Although the cocks, I have to admit, are very visually appealing.)
This is what Playgirl always wanted to be, and never quite managed.
I'm particularly looking forward to receiving my copy of issue 4, because it features Japanese rope bondage...
... and PIRATES.
I wholeheartedly approve.





I can heartily recommend, (if you've not seen it already), "Shibari You Can Use: Japanese Rope Bondage and Erotic Macrame" by Lee "Bridgett" Harrington.
ReplyDeletePIRATES. Oh yes, please.
ReplyDeleteI've recently aquired an authentic boy's ratings 1 sailor suit (the ebay ad said it had belonged to the 53 year old seller when he was 16!) and I have lots of pirate abduction fantasies which involve a poor little cabin boy (me!) being press-ganged into a life of crimeo n the high-seas.
YARRR.
Ebay carries stock from a number of Japanese bookshops that specialise in rope bondage magazines and guidebooks. Whilst having a knowledge of the language would help, the pictures and diagrams are more than self-explanatory. The quality is infinitely better than the Western knockoff imitations.
ReplyDeletePandora -- a note to your political self: maybe this story is something worth circulating:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/digital-economy-bill.html
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Learning shibari is quite a long way down my list of priorities, and I'm too impatient to make a particularly good bondage bunny (unless it's resistance play, or I'm being tied up in order that people can hit me with things, in which case it's totally different), but it's very pretty to look at.
ReplyDeleteCaroline - oh dear god that sounds AMAZING. Now we just need a boat. Easy.
Karl - thanks for the thought. I've been involved with the campaign elsewhere :)
I think I need to investigate Filament. I enjoy the magazines I already read, but none of them include erotica - which is a definite disadvantage.
ReplyDeleteAlso, having been lucky enough to observe Caroline in her sailor suit, I can confirm that she's just as adorable in it as you might imagine. As in, basically so adorable that you just want to *do things* to her. Uh-huh.