a wee rant about size
As you'll have already gathered, I've put on weight lately, and I have mixed feelings about it. My weight has always fluctuated a lot - I have different jeans for different times of the month - but I've gone from a size 8-10 to a 12-14 in the last few months, and a lot of my clothes no longer fit. Now, I don't know a single woman in our culture who doesn't have issues with weight and food to some extent, or hasn't had at some point in their life, so I'm hardly a special snowflake. I find unpacking this stuff helpful and empowering, though, so bear with me while I do just that.
Trigger warning: I talk below about my history of food issues and disordered eating - please skip this post if mention of the above is going to hinder your own recovery.
Thing 1: For a few years in my late teens and early twenties, I had badly disordered eating, although I was never diagnosed with a disorder. It was a symptom of depression and anxiety; it started after my first attempt to quit self-harm; it was exacerbated by the stress of graduate education and the weird, petri-dish culture of my small university. I calorie-counted obsessively, careened through a self-destructive starve/binge cycle, and for 18 months or so I abused laxatives quite heavily (don't try that at home, kids - my digestive system has never been the same. Seriously unfun). These days I identify as "recovered" rather than "recovering", but I still have to be careful to avoid certain mental habits, and I'm not really capable of dieting or deliberately losing weight in a healthy way. I've steered my control impulses around food into healthier outlets: low-impact, sustainable food sourcing; interesting vegetarian and exotic cooking; planning elaborate meals and compulsively feeding everyone who ever enters my house.
Thing 2: These days, I'm an advocate of fat acceptance. This has arisen from my feminist and gender egalitarian politics, but although I believe fat is a gendered issue, our culture's fatphobia harms people of all genders. (Of course, it's not only women whose bodies are publically scrutinised and criticised - the whole penis size fetish in our culture is totally fucked up, for a start.) At the personal level, all my partners are heavier than me. I've always been attracted to strong, bulky men and strong, curvy women; these days I'm just less conflicted about it. (I used to be attracted to tiny, fragile women as well, but after three flings in a row with selfish, eating-disordered, manic pixie dream girls, I am so over that.)
Thing 3: My size is extremely dependent on my contraceptives. I take hormonal contraception because without it, I have very long, heavy, irregular periods, bad PMT, and bad skin. I suffered from acne from the age of 9, and as an adult, feeling spotty seriously knocks my self-esteem. The pill controls my bleeding and my moods, reduces my androgen levels and keeps my skin under control. Too much oestrogen and my depression, anxiety and moodswings go through the roof; too much progesterone and I get bad breakouts, loss of libido and emotional intensity. Oestrogen makes me gain weight, progesterone makes me lose it. So the balance I'm striking in my hormonal contraception is between all sorts of conflicting things, and my weight is not actually the most important of them. I'm fatter on my current pill than I would be without it, but I'm also happier, saner and more functional.
Thing 4: I still live in this society, I was still raised in it, and it's a lifetime's work to unpick that level of cultural brainwashing. I talk the talk of body positivity, but battling the impulse to slim down is a daily project for me. It weighs on my mind more than I'm happy with. (The mental hook that motivated me to finally start recovering from my fucked-up eating patterns was the realisation of quite how tedious a person I was. When you're malnourished you're incapable of thinking about anything other than food; calorie-counting is quite literally a full-time job. Shit, but I have better things to do with my brain and my time.) I don't like this stuff taking up valuable mental space and energy; and yet it's like a persistent weed, remarkably difficult to kill.
I'm used to battling down the fatphobic impulses that creep into my thinking when I inspect my rolls of fat, my flab and curves. That's second nature now. But I find myself pre-occupied with a whole host of other issues and irritations. Like clothes sizing.
See, a lot of the size small clothes that I've been valiantly squeezing into over the last couple of years officially now no longer fit. Not even a little bit. I still haven't decided what to do with them. Keep them as costumes for my spanking site, to lend to slimmer models? Keep them with the intention of letting them out or getting them adjusted? Keep them in case my weight randomly goes down at some point in the future, because they took me years to accumulate and good clothes are hard to come by? Or sell them, because their presence is a reminder of my weight gain, and every time I try something on that's too small, I feel bad about my size all over again? Sell them, because I can't afford a whole new wardrobe that makes me feel good without making some cash off the stuff I can't wear any more?
While I'm being indecisive, I'm collecting new clothes in bits and pieces, raiding sales and charity shops for things I can afford. It's reminded me all over again how CRAZY women's clothing sizes are. Here are my current measurements:
height: 5'8
bust (fullest part): 93cm / 35"
waist (narrowest part): 74cm / 29"
hips (fullest part): 108cm / 42"
In Primark, I'm a size 8-10, which is just bizarre. In M&S, I'm a 10-14. In Debenhams, I'm a 14-18. In most ranges, I'm two sizes bigger on the hips and bum than I am on top. I never have any idea whether I'm a Small, Medium or Large. My boobs are too small for most dresses that fit over my hips. I can't buy clothes online any more, because the size guides are so wildly conflicting that I just don't want to risk it.
I spent four hours going up and down a big London high street in search of a new swimming costume. I wanted a plain black costume to swim in. Everywhere I looked had a billion bikinis, but only 1 or 2 two full-length suits. Those they had were either horrendously coloured or patterned, far too short for my long body (so that the top didn't even cover my nipples, in a few cases), with narrow shoulder straps that cut into my shoulders and would have made it very uncomfortable to actually swim, or "body shaping". WTF? Since when does a size 12 costume need to be fucking body shaping? This is a weird clothing trend that means "incredibly tight and uncomfortable" in the interests of squeezing your tummy into a more conventionally acceptable shape. Fuck that. I'm going swimming, not walking down a catwalk. I want to be free to use my body, not contorted and squeezed at the cost of my own flexibility and comfort. After trying ten or twelve different mainstream clothing chains I eventually found a size 14 costume that fitted in M&S, by which point I was thoroughly pissed off with the whole clothing industry.
Now, I look like a normal, healthy, pear-shaped weight. I'm bang in the middle of the "healthy BMI" (although as it happens I think BMI is total bullshit). I didn't have these problems when I was smaller; I could be reasonably certain a size 10 or Small would fit. Why has it suddenly got so much worse because I've gained a couple of inches?
So yeah. On the one hand, I have better things to think about and fret about than this shit. On the other, something is seriously broken in our culture in terms of how we think about female bodies and women's clothing, and the only way to deconstruct that is to talk about it. I find myself increasingly fascinated by the semantics of body size and how it relates to gender, sexuality, cultural expectation, the weird and subtle ways in which so many normal body shapes are penalised.
I want to close with some silly photos I took in the bath the other day.

I was fascinated by the way my view changed depending on how I was holding myself. Arch my back and my belly swells into view; push my hips and ribs forward and it disappeared under the water. My boobs are pretty small, but shot from the right angle they look enormous.
Modelling has always allowed me to disengage from the cultural baggage of body shape in this way - it's all about learning to manipulate the camera, which means learning that bodies are subjective, fluid, that people's perceptions can be easily changed. When you can make yourself look fat or thin on demand, it's much harder to take the whole issue particularly seriously.





Oh, this is fantastic. And word, to so much of it.
ReplyDeleteI (narrowly) avoided ED trouble in my early twenties, as a form of self-harm. I always hated being skinny, but the two stone I've gained over the past two years (one of them over the past 3 months) have been very hard to deal with. Harder than I expected - I've tried to be very into fat acceptance, but it's always been from the outside. Losing my own thin privilege has made things very different!
The clothes size thing isn't something I've had much experience of yet, but only because I haven't yet had the time to do the essential clothes shopping I now need to do, with only one pair of non-hippy trousers still fitting me (which are men's combats I bought before Trowbridge). (I'm currently wearing a pair of Feste's, as those are in the wash. Puck borrowed the same pair last week. We are getting Very Interchangeable size-wise...)
I'm lucky that my men are being supportive and understanding and wonderful, but ultimately the brain problem is me. I didn't like having thin privilege, but of course I had the benefit from it anyway. And although I definitely have more cleavage than I had, most of the weight I've put on has been on my hips and waist, so I'm very definitely a pear, rather than curvy, or the androgynous shape I used to be. And that last, of course, is slightly breaking my gender-brain because up to now I've always been the right shape for my gender.
Anyway, that is all rambly, but thank you for writing this, Pandora. I'm not pleased that you're finding the same thing hard, but I am pleased you wrote this, as it's very helpful to know that I'm not alone.
I'm hoping to squeeze in some clothes shopping between house viewings on Saturday, so I guess I'll find out how bad it is for me these days! I suspect I'll mostly be in the men's department, which may make things easier. (FWIW, I believe my waistline is now at least a couple of inches bigger than yours... these are a 32"...)
Wrt modelling helping, actually I can really see that. What's most breaking my brain at the moment is that I don't really feel I have a handle on what I look like now. And until I know what that is, I can't learn to love it. I think finding the time for Feste and Puck to take some photos of me soon would be a Cunning Plan. At the moment I'm only sensing the difference in terms of None Of My Clothes Fitting. Although also in the fact that Puck reckons it may finally be worth me buying an overbust corset, and that *would* be nice. :-)
Ramble ramble ramble. Many hugs, lovely Pandora, and many good wishes in smiting the brain monsters.
Love,
Ophelia
xx
And at the risk of rambling more - one of the problems I'm having is that I'm still putting on weight. Basically it's my new meds combination. Which is *wonderful* from a making-me-less-mad point of view. But... yeah. Clothes that fit are good!
ReplyDeleteAn amazing post Pandora.
ReplyDeleteI could rant just as long and as hard with my own battle with weight, all my life, but I'd pretty much be saying the same things you covered more than eloquently.
I hate that society and culture makes me feel horrible about my size. I used to feel okay about being a bigger girl when I started in the scene almost 10 years ago. I comfortably sat around a curvy 14/16 for most of my life. Then I decided to get fit for health reasons and a byproduct of that was losing a LOT of weight. More than 4 stones.
I got compliments left, right and centre. I was showered with praise about how good I was doing, how well I looked etc. Like I ought to be rewarded for stopping being "fat" or something. Men used to stop in the street to give me a second look, and I genuinely turned heads. But I don't really think there was much wrong with me in the first place (other than being unfit). At first I basked in the attention, but then it started to piss me off. Why was I suddenly so much more beautiful, attractive etc just because I was a size 12?
I was still the same person. I was definitely happier but largely because being fitter gave me heaps more energy and dynamic-ness. (is that even a word?)
Then I decided to stop smoking, and slowly all the weight I had lost piled back on. But instead of feeling okay about being a bigger girl again, I felt miserable. I felt guilty. People looked at me like I had personally let them down! And made me feel like that too. "Oh well you did it once before, you can do it again", and other such "encouraging" comments...
And I have felt like a pile of crap ever since I gained weight again. I constantly find myself APOLOGISING for my size these days. I hate that I do it, but I can't seem to help myself. Having a baby hasn't helped as it has made massive changes to my body that I haven't yet been able to accept or make peace with.
And I am currently a size 18, trying very hard to shift the baby weight and struggling massively. Now I am practically starving myself in a last ditch attempt at fitting into clothes for Shadowlane in Vegas next week. I'm 32 ffs. WIth a baby. I should be so over doing crap like this. But I'm not. And it's very sad, and quite shameful that I am not. And I probably never will be.
But if it makes you feel any better, when we saw the rushes from your B&S shoot, Paul was practically drooling and said you looked "amazing" and he would shoot with you again for his Blushes-style stuff tomorrow. And again and again and again and again....
Lucy, I am so with you. Having always been fat - podgy kid, awkwardly chubby adolescent, curvy young woman - I lost a few stone while living abroad a few years ago. It was for very unsexy reasons: I had giardia, a parasite found in feces, which makes you swell up painfully with gas, renders you incapable of digesting anything without pain, gives you whooshing diarrhea and makes you fart the worst smelling, evillest, most chronic farts EVER. I had it for six months, as it isn't always killed by treatment. I went down from being a size 18 to a size 12/14 and boy, did I feel sexy and empowered and 'properly' beautiful for the first time ever. My mother, who is the worst critic there is of my weight, was elated.
ReplyDeleteAbout a year later, still roughly at that size, I met a certain kinky blogger at a London event and we sat up into the night at my house talking with friends. There was a bit of a spark, but she went home that night and we didn't properly see each other again for a long time.
In the intervening period, a demanding project took over my life and led to a spell of depression, and my body returned to its customary big, round, wobbly form. My pot belly came back (I am decidedly front-loaded), my thighs once again destroyed my trousers and my size 14 clothes had to be abandoned. But I grew into myself over that time and when I crossed paths with the hot kinky blogger again (over large three-course roast dinners cooked by a friend at his house) the spark came up again and again and eventually smouldered into several dates and now an enriching, exciting, great relationship. The same kinky blogger who is worried about her weight now talks with me about mine in an incredibly supportive, affirming way and said once, 'You are so much more self-assured and sexy and confident now than when I first met you, when you were thinner'. And it's true.
My (thin) mother is once again disgusted and anguished by how fat I am. She passes comment on it every time we see each other, repeatedly, with the excuse that she's 'worried about my health'. 'But you looked so good before!'. 'Mother, that was because I had intestinal parasites and couldn't digest anything for six months.'
Anyway, what I wanted to say was: Pandora, your sleek body turns me on like anything. I love that little satiny fold of tummy which slips out over your skirts, I love the solidity of your thighs and the breadth of the red stripes which come up on them after a stingy tawsing. I want to write whole sonnet cycles about your breasts. I know that commenters here could compose symphonies about your bottom. You are breathtakingly beautiful, and you would/will continue to be after twenty years have added lines to your face and pregnancy has spread your hips and filled out your breasts. You are a gorgeous, gorgeous girl.
About the clothes, I don't know. Tuck them away in a cupboard where you don't have to look at them. Maybe you'll lose the weight one day for some reason and want to wear them again, and having them on hand for shoots isn't a bad idea. But if you've got the money, I would get yourself some new ones to imbue with new memories.
xx
The clothes sizing thing annoys me. It would be so easy to mark sizes in inches, like they do in men's trousers, and would make shopping so much more pleasant. I'm convinced that my wardrobe would be far more interesting if buying every single thing didn't involve a 20-minute changing room adventure. As it is, I just have to go for "I know what size I am on Threadless, I'll have a kilo of t-shirts. And I know which M&S jeans fit me, so I'll have more of them once these fall apart."
ReplyDeletePerhaps, this is the shallow end of the size issue, but I spent too much of yesterday looking for some trousers that are not jeans, and the waste of my time angers me like nothing else.
The points about contraception affecting skin and weight are very pertinent - not something males have to deal with and consequently rarely consider.
ReplyDeleteRe Primark - please don't shop there. Yes, it's cheap (the same applies to Asda/Tesco etc,) but cost has to be taken out somewhere, even in high volume/low margin operations, and it comes from the pockets of those who make the clothes under oppressive conditions. This new imperialism also encourages an unsustainable throwaway mentality.
Here endeth today's polemic form the lefty perves D&J at doonstartwo.blogspot.com
My wife is a luscious 14/18 pear; and I lust after her dainty boobs and gorgeous, glamorous, bum---as much today, as when we first fucked 24 years ago.
ReplyDeletex jim
I know you are not fishing for compliments. I know you have explored complex psychological and sociopolitical arguments here, but here is a rather simple response is nonetheless heartfelt.
ReplyDeleteYou look absolutely fabulous, stop worrying.
TC
didn't have these problems when I was smaller; I could be reasonably certain a size 10 or Small would fit. Why has it suddenly got so much worse because I've gained a couple of inches?
ReplyDeleteCos there's more ways for the body fat to be distributed? I alsoways just look at me and my partner. We're both size 12-14, but can hardly share any clothes because we're totally different shapes. I'm similar to you, with a small waist, slight pot belly, fairly small boobs and all my weight on my hips, thighs and bum. She's got big boobs, slim hips and incredibly slim legs. If size 12s didn't vary, they'd either fit her or me, but they wouldn't fit both of us!
I think it's easier for men's clothes to just be one measurement because men's clothes tend to be less well-fitting and (straight) men tend to care less about the fit. If you talk to a group of men who really do care about fit, they find it just as much of a hassle as most women do.
I *love* your photos. I often look at myself in the bath and have similar thoughts, but I've never got around to taking photos! But I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas about what to do with the smaller sized clothing either. Can you store it properly in boxes in an attic somewhere, so it's not in the way, and ask yourself in a year's time whether it's worth keeping?
But where is a link to a reasonable photo of your size today?
ReplyDeletePandora you are gorgeous! Don't worry.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for the great responses. My internet's been really flaky the last few days, so I'm sorry I haven't been around to continue the conversation.
ReplyDeleteIn the meantime, just a quick answer to your question, Frants - the most recent Bars and Stripes photo I posted (with Zoe and Paul), and the photos with Ludwig and Kaelah were all taken in the last few weeks. I've got bigger fairly evenly all over, so although none of my clothes fit I haven't actually changed shape much.
Thanks all for the comments - I was touched by some of your responses. Will be back online tomorrow to reply in more detail, although you'll be pleased to hear that having got this rant out of my system, I'm much less worried about it!
FWIW I am tickled to find out that we now share measurements. Twins! :)if only we lived together we could share clothes!
ReplyDeleteThe length and passion of the replies here shows what a fraught quesion weight and shape is for so many of us. Even those of us who go out of our way to feel empowered feel the weight of these expectations on our shoulders. It breaks my heart to know that beautiful people I love have been made to feel bad so about themselves. Why shouldn't we just be left alone to live in our bodies?
Ms Bias's point about the reasons sizes vary so much was really helpful. I hadn't thought of it like that--it's just a practical problem. Like Adele and so many others I hate shopping so much because you have to try so many things on and deal with all the emotions when you don't fit into this or that, never mind the plain hassle of having to try three sizes of everything every time I go into a shop. And I do a lot of my shopping at charity shops. Only last week I took 4 pair of jeans into the changing room. All the "same size". Two wouldn't zip up, one was falling off of me, and one fit reasonably well. I was so grumpy!
My weight has fluctuated wildly in my young adulthood from a size 8 to a size 16 and everywhere inbetween. Now, finally, after years of eating disorders and weird medications, and yes, birth control related changes, I've been steady at my current size for several years. There are many times I look at my cellulite or see the first subtle signs of ageing, or watch my thighs spread as I sit down and feel a little trickle of that old self-hatred.
But then I realise it's not really self-hatred. I don't actually hate myself. I don't actually hate my body. Like Lucy said, there's nothing actually wrong with it, at any size. All these waves of negative emotion (and you really can feel as if they are goign to drown you) just my brain recycling the static it's heard from the world all of its life.
It might sound backwards, but I've found simply disowning my feelings of unworth or ugliness or whatever really, really help helpful. And an easier logical step for me that running around promising myself that I really do love everything about myself and my body. I try to be as practical as I ca about it. When I feel beautiful, I feel beautiul. When I feel ugly, it's that static. and most of the time, I just try to appreciate that I have a perfectly good body that gets me where I want to go.
Ophelia - thanks for the response. Losing thin privilege is something I've been facing lately as well, although I find a lot of it comes down to how you dress. I do miss being one of the girls who could wear skimpy clothes in public without feeling too big for them - but I suspect that feeling is entirely in my own head, rather than anyone else's responses! Borrowing clothes from your men is rather lovely :)
ReplyDeleteThe androgynous stuff must be tricky. I hope you can come to accept your new shape. You are no more female just because you have hips - although I get that being read as more female must be aggravating. Buying new clothes that suit your gender as well as your fuller figure will help - it feels superficial, but being dressed in clothes that fit and feel comfortable really does wonders for one's confidence. And some nice photos would probably help, as well! If only so you realise that you really don't look that much different from the outside :)
(Men's trousers don't sit on the waist - I'm about a 36" in men's trousers; the waistline sits on the hip bone, not on the narrowest part of the waist or widest part on the hip.)
Lucy - thankyou for the awesome reply. We all have our own narratives and each story is similar but different. The fact that these issues are so ubiquitous makes me sad and angry - but also determined to unlearn them if I possibly can.
ReplyDeleteThe response to weight loss is such a double-edged sword? Flattering and yet horrrible - and constantly dogged by wondering what the same people will say or think if/when you gain the weight again. When I've lost weight accidentally, those positive comments make me really upset - I find them very triggering, and if they're coming from friends who should know better, the insensitivity can make me quite angry! The fact that weight gain is so often linked to things that actually mean one is healthier - like better medication, or stopping smoking - and yet people treat any weight gain as the worst possible thing for your health, is even more galling.
I hope you can learn to accept your current shape. I have seen you at various sizes and in my opinion you are always gorgeous and sexy, not just because of force of personality, but because you're a good looking lady, and that doesn't stop being true when you're bigger. I know that you've heard this from lots of people though, and it takes more than that to unpick those inner demons of self-loathing. Please don't starve yourself - it's not sustainable, not good for you and will make you put on weight faster when you do eat as your body starts to panic. You're the same size as my lady friend, and there is nothing unsexy about her size. I really hope you can feel comfortable in your skin again.
Paul is such a sweetheart - I really enjoyed working with him again. He gives great hugs. :)
Penny - Your story perfectly shows up how ridiculous it is to link good health and a slim figure, but I'm sorry you had to experience it. I stand by my comment that you are far sexier in your current incarnation, pot belly and all. I love your big smooshy breasts which are bigger than a handful and outrageously sensitive; I love your soft curvy torso, strong thighs and shapely legs. I love your delicate, feminine hands and twinkly, knowing eyes, and glowy smile that warms me to the core. You are gorgeous, and you teach me to feel gorgeous. I'm sorry if my self-involved body angst ever makes you feel bad about your own - as ever these things are entirely hypocritical, and only directed inwards.
As for the clothes - I think I'll make a pile of things worth adjusting or keeping, and ebay the rest. I'm unlikely to get skinny again, and if I do, I'll probably want new clothes rather than re-discovering the wardrobe of my late teens and early twenties.
Adele - I'm with you on the clothes sizing, I hate clothes shopping for the same reason. Or even making different styles for different figures - if you can do it for long/petite, why not for pear/hourglass/apple? It would make buying dresses so much easier. I can see why so many people end up learning how to make their own.
Doonstar - I normally avoid Primark for the same reason, but on this occasion I was running out of options! I was relieved when nothing fit, though; I definitely didn't want to give them any of my money if I could help it. I was quite pleased that my preference not to shop there for political reason was validated by their crapness - having seen what they had to offer, I wouldn't be inclined shop there even if they were ethical.
Jim - What a lovely, heartwarming, delightful comment. Thankyou. I hope your wife appreciates you just as much, and knows how much you lust after her :)
TC and Ivor - thankyou! I wasn't, but if everyone told me I looked much worse now I'm a bit bigger, it certainly wouldn't help! So thankyou for the reassurance. I suspect my appearance hasn't changed as much as I feel it does - these things always seem much more significant on the inside of one's head.
Ms Bias - Your points about different body shape are well taken. I think my fat distribution is mostly the same, though - if anything, the ratio between my waist and hips has shrunk. And yet finding dresses that fit is harder. Perhaps smaller sizes are better catered for? I can totally see why you got into making your own!
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked the bath photos! I felt ever so strange, posting a photo in which I look fatter than I am, but I think the playfulness of those two images next to each other is healthy, and very good for me. I keep toying with the idea of painting a series of portraits based on the view you have in the bath, but that's definitely a project for the back-burner!
I think going through the clothing in 6 months or a year if I don't randomly get smaller again is definitely the way forward. After that, a clothes swapping party? Or ebay, but it's such a lot of faff...
Caroline - OMG we're size twins! Pity our faces aren't very similar, I have a couple of stories which involve doppelgangers...
Totally with you on the doom of shopping. Especially places that won't let you take more than three items into a changing room! So if you want to try on a pair of jeans or a dress, I need to pick the 10, the 12 and the 14, queue, and then queue all over again if they don't fit or I want to try a second garment ... oh, and don't get me started on shops where all the sizes between 10-16 are permanently out of stock :/ I used to get round this by shopping online, but the size guides are so wildly dissimilar that now I don't dare. Am I really an 18 in Debenhams? It makes me so cross I just don't want to bother. Charity shops really are the only place I buy clothes from these days.
I like what you say about static. That's a good way of putting it. I've learned to identify when I'm feeling something "genuine" and when I'm simply recycling the tired old brainwashing, and that has helped me step away from it. The 'static' image is simple and powerful.
As for your last sentence - well, physical self-esteem based on functionality rather than appearance is an amazing concept, and a whole nother blog post. You are wise, lady. Well done you for being so practical and awesome about this. You are also, as it happens, drop dead gorgeous in a way you wouldn't be if you were skinny, and I totally dig your shape. But superficiality aside, thanks for the solidarity and good advice. I miss you! x