Thursday, December 28, 2006

When servers go down

In slightly less happy news, the observant among you will have noticed that my website and all the images on this blog have broken. All my sites and email are handled and hosted by Mr C, who discovered yesterday that he'd had a major hard drive failure on one of his boxes, and all his user account info had been wiped.

The server should be being reset at some point in the next 24 hours, and thankfully I kept local back-ups of all my websites, so the site and link images should all be uploaded again soon. The real problem is my email. Not only was I daft enough to read all my email using Thomas' webmail client, rather than copying emails off the server using IMAP, but I didn't even keep an off-line address book. Yes, trust me, I know: I've learned my lesson. The harddrive failed at 3.30am on the 27th. All email received since then has been stored on his back-up drive, although until the user accounts are reconstructed I won't be able to read it. However, all emails received before that date have been lost, and so (probably) have any emails sent since the drive failure.

If you've ever emailled me, then I no longer have the email or your contact info.

As someone who gets almost all her work via email, this is a bit of a disaster. Please, if you're someone who might want to work with me in the future, a personal or professional contact or just someone who wants to keep in touch - if you think I might have any reason to contact you at any point in the future - please send an email to pandorablake at yahoo co uk with your contact details. I've lost a lot of emails containing phone numbers which I didn't put into my phone addressbook, so if you want me to have your number please resend that as well.

If you've ever sent me any information you want me to have access to, it's probably worth resending it - there are some things, like site login details, that I've pulled out of email, but I no longer have copies of any email conversations with anyone. I need to get back in touch fast with the photographers with whom I was discussing future shoots, as well as (just as important to me, for different reasons) personal correspondence.

Please, help me rebuild my contacts and my addressbook. Resend anything you care about to pandorablake at yahoo co uk - the email addresses at pandoras-bot.com aren't any good to me until the server is back online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails