Sharpe's punishment
I've been watching Sharpe recently, which as well as being a finely made show provides a wealth of material for an imaginative spanko. The Napoleonic war is one of my favourite historical settings - I love the European context, the espionage, the uniforms, the songs, the society. The Sharpe films are gritty, thought-provoking, swash-buckling, full of military discipline, floggings, English traditional folk music and Sean Bean being the hottest thing I've ever seen in uniform. Ho yus. This is my kind of television.
Imagine my glee, then, when the episode I was watching last night turned out to include some pretty explicit CP references. The first glimpse we get of our favourite pastime is in a scene between Jane Gibbons, the spirited but low-born ward of Sir Henry, and Sir Henry himself, the vicious, greedy villain of the piece. Jane has run away after being told that she's to marry Colonel Girdwood, a slimy and corrupt officer keen to get into Sir Henry's good books. She's caught, of course, and fetched back. The only glimpse we get of her punishment is Sir Henry turning around and picking up a cane off the mantlepiece, lashing it through the air, and then lifting her chin with the tip of it as he snarls, "On your feet."

Later Jane's dog escapes during a parade, and Sir Henry angrily tells her to control it - if she can't manage to keep it quiet, he won't beat the dog, he'll beat her.
This was more than enough to get me excited, but during a conversation between Jane and Sharpe towards the end of the episode, she tells him everything. He needs the ledgers that will prove Sir Henry's and Colonel Girdwood's corruption, and he comes to ask for her help. He has to break into the house - she's defied her governess, and is being kept prisoner. When he expresses surprise at a noblewoman being treated this way, she tells him,
"Major Sharpe, I am not of them. I am the daughter of a saddler and Sir Henry's sister in law, fit only to be married off for whatever reasons suit my uncle. I ran off when I was told I was to marry Colonel Girdwood, but Sir Henry fetched me back, and - "
"You're frightened of Sir Henry?"
"Yes - but I do want to help you."
"Could you find the ledgers?"
"I want to, but it's hard..."
"It would help me disgrace Girdwood."
"I know. I should take the risk ... but if I fail, I shall be punished."
"By who?"
"My uncle beats me. He let Girdwood watch the last time because he thought the colonel should know how to treat a wife. He uses a cane. There are marks on the study wall where he thrashes and the cane scratches the plaster. He gets very angry."
"How dare he treat you so!"
Oh, Sharpe. Heroic you may be, but in this case I think the fantasy is better off without you.





Oh! Sean Bean as Sharpe. One of my particular favourites as a hero. I still retain the memory of a later episode where he paces the floor of his room for hours in denial before kicking down her bedroom door to get to the object of his lust inside.
ReplyDeleteBut the thing is that a man like Sharpe would never beat a woman for fun because of the violent life he leads outside.
I find my different feelings regarding beating confusing. The idea of her Uncle beating Jane is not exciting to me. The idea of her Uncle beating Jane and letting her future husband watch... is. The thought of Sharpe beating Jane in anger does not do it for me but the idea of him punishing her with her tacit consent... is.
Thanks for your comment! It's great to meet another Sharpe fan :)
ReplyDeleteThe scenes between Jane and Sir Henry are certainly horrible. I could never desire punishment from such awful, unfair, revolting people. But it is exciting, in the same way that a lot of non-consensual scenarios are exciting to me. It's not a pleasant fantasy, and yeah, it's nice if the tormentors in a fantasy can be people one can even vaguely respect, rather than just vicious.
But from the safe vantagepoint of my consensual, respectful D/s relationships, I have the privilege of being able to toy with the idea of non-consent scenarios. It would make a good roleplay scene, safe in the knowledge that afterwards I could return to my happy life with lovers I trust, in which I'm not abused by my guardians and I don't have to marry anyone I hate.
My fantasy life is fairly evenly divided between "realistic" fantasies, closer to my own experience, in which the recipient of punishment consents to it and finds it in some way rewarding - and scenarios like Jane and her Uncle, pure unadulterated non-consensual nastiness.
Girdwood watching definitely enhances the scene: as long as her future husband is as untrustworthy as Sir Henry, it's a hot idea that his legacy should continue once she's married. (Although I reckon that even if Jane had married Girdwood, he wouldn't have been able to control her. She has a stronger will than him. If she'd been promised to Lord Fenner - now, that would have been hopeless.
Thinking about this, my attraction to Sharpe operates in parallel to my kinkiness. You're right, he's too much of a decent guy to be able to fulfil half of my fantasies - the best I could hope for is loving CP. It was interesting, watching this episode, as my romantic desire for Sharpe was setup in contradition to my inner squirmy masochist who liked the idea of Jane being treated awfully.
ReplyDeleteThen again, Sharpe likes strong women, and in real life that's exactly what I am. Edgy CP fantasies aside, I'd much rather be Teresa or La Marquesa than little powerless Jane.
Absofuckinglutely!
ReplyDeleteKeep on watching til the end. You will enjoy the remaining programmes.
The books are very good too altho you have to rely on your imagination for Sean Bean's Sharpe as he is described as dark haired with a scar as I recall... and I think his accent is less Yorkshire and more Essex. Ugh!
Ive only just got into spanking so Im very much a novice but I do see what you're saying. I guess I need to give myself a little more exposure before I say I definitely wouldnt like the Sir Henry thing. Although Im not sure my inner masochist should be encouraged :)
I remember that one! Good stuff! Sharpe was great.
ReplyDeleteI was tuned into Playboy radio on my drive home last night and instead of the normal show, they had a 'sexy story' read by a British girl, about a 'naughty' girl in a Victorian household who was taken out in front of her entire household (parents, servants etc.) and birched until she gave up the trinkets she'd been stealing.
It would have been right up your street - with the crisp English accent being used to tell it (an authentic one, no less) it made me think that your 'audio tales' could definitely have some mileage.
Cake - I'm looking forward to the rest of them :) I'm also enjoying how Sharpe gets more promiscuous with each episode. I think this is the first time I've seen him have three lovers in a single story and get engaged to one of them ... I'm assuming it won't last ;)
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't worry if you never end up liking the idea of being beaten by someone you don't like. There's no right or wrong way of being kinky! There's definitely several paradoxes in my own tastes. The human mind is a strange thing.
I probably will read the books at some point ... and although normally I prefer brunet men, Sheffield is so better than Essex.
Roland - something like that was on Playboy radio??! You're kidding! Where can I listen to this? You should have taped it for your blogging friends :)
As for my accent, it really isn't very crisp, but it's hopefully British enough to serve ;)
For just a second there I hoped that you'd found a hitherto unseen episode where Sharpe actually spanks somebody. *sigh* That would have been _nice_
ReplyDeleteAdele - *sigh* Sadly not. Although this episode introduced the first two of his lovers who might actually have let him spank them - bawdy Maggie and abused little Jane. Although they filmed two more Sharpe films in 2006 after an 8-year hiatus, so who knows? There's hope yet!
ReplyDeleteAlternatively, there's fanfic :D
Mmmm... We just watched it. Yes, it had me squirming, all right! I'll have to see more. Though I'm really more of a Hornblower girl myself. Not that I can imagine Hornblower thrashing anyone, mind you (more's the pity!). My favourite is the "Mutiny" episode with David Warner (yum!) as the the mad, sadistic Captain Sawyer who has poor midshipman Wellard (unfairly) caned for disobedience. Yes, yes, yes!
ReplyDeleteHow I would have loved to see the scene as Sharpe used the swishy cane on Jane Gibbons bare bottom. Please let's all stand up and cheer that idea, would'nt we all agree?
ReplyDelete