lost in translation
I spent yesterday transcribing the Pain4Fem Strict Prison film Amy and I shot in January. One of their crew speaks English, and translates their films into German for the subtitles, but he had difficulty understanding some of our phrases. Maybe they were slang. Could I help?
Watching the opening scene, I quickly realised that there was nothing wrong with their translator's colloquial English. A lot of what I was saying was pretty much unintelligible. My character was irritable and impulsive, and my lines were either muttered under my breath or came out in a big rush. The acoustics of the prison set were ringing and echoey, and I had to listen to some lines three or four times to work them out.
I was pretty upset, and disappointed. Amy is brilliant, a model of clarity and professionalism. But me? I race, trip, stumble over my lines and half of them are lost. The dialogue was improvised, as usual, so it wasn't a question of remembering a script. I must have spent three times as long working out what to say next as I did actually delivering it. I would have been better off not trying to be clever, even speaking in clichés, if it meant I could be understood.
I'm also a little bewildered. I know I speak too fast in real life, but on film? This is an amateur mistake. I've been improvising dialogue on camera for nearly three years and this hasn't been a problem - certainly not to this extent - in any of my previous films. Although, you know, feel free to tell me otherwise, I know I'm behind on watching them.
The only explanation I can come up with is nerves.
We filmed most of this in one take, and I was not in a state of centred, zen calm. I was nervous about getting through a plot I didn't feel prepared for. I felt self-conscious about my character being the centre of attention when Amy was so much more confident an actress. I'd wimped out two strokes into the back-whipping clip we'd filmed first thing that morning, and they'd had to change the whipping machine to the next spring down. That had unsettled me. And there was a much more severe back whipping still to come. And the judicial caning, which I felt totally unprepared for. I felt sick with nerves and I fluffed my lines and now EVERYTHING IS RUINED and it is ALL MY FAULT. :(
I'm hoping that either Pain4fem will agree to my suggestion to include the option of English subtitles as well as German, or that actually the problem isn't as bad as I think and I'm just being paranoid and self-deprecating. However, just in case, I want to note for the record that I've got an English transcription of the film, so, er, feel free to ask me to send you a copy if it proves necessary.
Incidentally, I still haven't seen any of juicy middle bits of the film, containing the medical scene, the back whipping and both the canings. They weren't included in the clips I was sent, presumably because they don't contain as much dialogue as the scenes before and after. I suspect it's just as well I haven't seen the punishments yet, or I'd probably be whinging about those.





OK. I have known many professional translators and I live with subtitles every day, where I can understand both the words being spoken and the subtitles, be it Dutch/Flemish on the screen with English written underneath or the other way around.
ReplyDeleteDirect translations, although being technically accurate, very often does not convey the meaning or the substance of what is happening on the screen. Most of the high end subtitling companies, the type that do translations for high budget Hollywood films and the like, will change the text from what is actually being said on screen, so that it conveys the same meaning as what is being said on screen, in the language that it is being written in, rather than just directly changing the words, which would not have the same meaning or gravity in the language that they are being written in.
Therefor, not being able to make out the actual words too clearly is not that important to translation, in a drama medium. If you watch the scenes and can provide lines that convey the kind of things you would have been saying, that can be translated into German, you would not be cheating or copping out, you will just be doing what the quality translation companies do for their higher end clients.
Amy Hunter is, as you say, a brilliant model. Compared to all of the models that I have seen in spanking material I would say she is the best at being able to change her visual and spoken presentation to suit the character that she is portraying (better than many well known main stream actors IMHO). On more than one occasion, I have had to do a double take to make sure that it was her that I saw, the first time that I have watched some of her clips. You are also very good. Even Amy Hunter would have been hard pushed to match your performance in The Australian Governess. To put yourself down about a couple of mumbled lines from, what must have been, a high pressure shooting situation, might be being a bit too hard on yourself.
Prefectdt
Dear Pandora. Don't be sorry that your nervousness can be seen. This is after all what many of us want to see - the girl should indeed be nervous and afraid of what is to come.
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to seeing the film. (English subtitles is a great idea.)
Max
I'm sure it's still a very good stuff you both made there :)
ReplyDeleteDude! You will have been entirely unable to ruin that film. Enough of teh EMO!!! :)
ReplyDeleteBesides. I'm sure once I start sobbing constantly that I undo any reasonable dialogue work I've already set in place. ;p
Xx
Prefectdt - you have no idea how helpful this comment was. Thankyou. It made me smile and sniffle when I got it, and I really appreciate the reassurance. Maybe I'm just being perfectionistic. Or emo. (Is there a difference?)
ReplyDeleteNo real way you can judge until you've seen the film yourself, but hopefully the story will carry, and I'm sure most viewers will be more interested in the canings than the dialogue. It's just a shock to discover a performance was so off the mark, you know? Makes me question my awareness and ability to judge.
And you're absolutely right about Amy's talent. Perhaps she's not the best person to compare myself to. Vocal projection is one of her strongest skills, in my opinion; I hadn't quite realised that until watching this film, but not I've noticed it it's something she's *really* good at.
I guess we're all learning, eh? Onward and upward! I'll do better next time.
And thanks for the lovely comments about Australian Governess. It's really sweet of you, and it did make me feel better :)
Max - I hope so! I guess most people don't watch with as critical an eye as me, but still, it's always disappointing when you fail to meet your own expectations. At least I survived the caning though, which is the most important thing!
ReplyDeleteKami - you're very sweet! I guess I'll have to wait til it comes out and see if people agree with me :)
Amy - Who are you calling emo, crying girl? I may be stomping my foot, but at least my mascara's still intact. Ish. xx
I think Lancome did pretty well on that one. Managing to get a mascara that runs like blazes, but also doesn't completely come off the lashes, so you still have the definition.
ReplyDeleteOh bugger it, I'm just going to be over here in my stripey arm warmers writing poetry, m'kay?
x