Saturday, February 21, 2009

the view from the bottom

After my posts about the extreme porn law and the demonstration I attended in Parliament Square, I received an invitation to write a guest post on the issue for Heresy Corner, a UK political blog with an impressive readership. "While I do my research thoroughly, my opinions are theoretical and those of an outsider. You actually live this stuff." the Heresiarch explained in his email. "I was also struck from something you wrote a while ago about how 'sex blogs' are rather cut off from other parts of the blogosphere - and it seems to me that your thoughts deserve a different audience."

I've been pretty over-committed lately, so it took me a while to get back to him. I said I was honoured to be asked, definitely interested, but well aware that my tendency of setting myself ambitious goals in four or five different areas at once leaves me vulnerable to changes of focus, and I have a bad habit of leaving projects unfinished and commitments dangling. The Heresiarch assured me there was no hurry from his point of view, but I shyly asked if he could set me a firm deadline, or it probably wouldn't happen. He was kind enough to oblige, and I said sure, I'd write him something.

I started work on the blog post two days before the deadline. Loads of time, I thought. But first there was the writing block to overcome. Suddenly this felt like a real writing project. I haven't had written a proper article since I was studying. I didn't help matters by looking through the recent posts on Heresy Corner until I felt thoroughly intimidated and uninformed in comparison.

But I chatted to my Doms in IRC, and they both had useful input, and I made a lot of notes about censorship and democracy and media responsibility. Once I started writing, I quickly realised that I had enough thoughts on this topic to fill a small book - particularly since I'd been told I shouldn't assume that my audience was familiar with kink, so I had to start from scratch with explaining where I'm coming from, and challenging some of the misconceptions which played a part in getting this legislation passed.

I finally finished it, after cutting it down to about a third of its original size, three days after the deadline. So I probably deserve a spanking for that. And I have at least two more articles I could write with the material I collected. But I'm pretty happy with the post that went up on Heresy Corner yesterday. It's not a bad start.

The View from the Bottom - An insider's take on spanking, S&M and the new porn law.

12 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful article, Pandora. Not that I expected anything less, mind. Nice to see some supportive comments on it as well. Yay for you. :-)

    Much love,

    Ophelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Have linked to this and to the article on HC from Shakespearean Kink, by the way. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:45 PM

    Yes - I've just read it: a very persuasive, clearly written article. I found the earlier, explanatory section, explaining your kink, as interesting as the polemic, by the way. I'd like to see more from you on queer sexual politics/philosophy, if you have time for it. I'd guess there's a tendency in your immediate circle to take a lot of shared assumptions for granted, but many concepts are probably new for a lot of us, - the concept of feminist porn, for example, or the various uses of pain and power exchange. There seems to be something new happening in pornography and sexuality in general. It would be nice to have a truly knowledgeable guide.

    (I also think you should be writing a column for 'The Guardian' or something similar, by the way. You could be their weekly fetish expert perhaps?)

    Regards,

    - jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pandora

    Actuallly, I came here to leave a note, something from a piece on Vienna in today's NY Times Travel Section: The striking black-and-white interior of Tiberius (Lindengasse 2) highlights the store’s specialty, creative fetish wear. Tiberius is a collaboration of BEHF Architekten, based in the district, and the young fashion designer Marcos Valenzuela.

    Now I must go & read your piece. Doing pleasure is so strenuous,,,

    Yrs in pervery, Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Pandora

    Just read your HC piece. Excellently written. More, more, more (before you get a thrashing!)

    Yrs in pervery, Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a great pleasure to host you, Pandora. I do feel slightly guilty about putting you to so much effort, though.

    Perhaps you should write a book next.

    H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Heresy Corner posting is another excellent article Pandora. Well constructed, well reasoned, with thoughtful and intelligent comments throughout.

    It's great to see you on a "mainstream" blog, but have you ever offered to write for either "The Guardian" or "The Independent" ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not much more to say that has not already been said but I would like to say that is a very well written post for HC and I am very impressed by the way that you are prepared to represent the rest of us in a more mainstream forum.

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:22 PM

    Beautifully said, Pandora! I'll link to your article on my blog tomorrow. Wish I'd seen it a little sooner. And one of the commenters on HC is right - you *should* be writing for the mainstream papers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, very well done, Pandora! That was beautifully and sensitively done. Thanks for your hard work and for speaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support :) I'm really not sure I have time to write for one of the mainstream papers, even if they were interested, which I personally find very unlikely! But, you know, if you know anyone who works for The Guardian feel free to point them at my post and see if they're interested... :)

    Ophelia - thankyou very much :) I've finally remembered to link your blog as well, woo!

    Anon -

    I'd like to see more from you on queer sexual politics/philosophy, if you have time for it.
    It's something I think about a fair amount - I read quite a lot of third wave feminism, trans and queer politics, and I definitely think that informs my approach to kink. Do you have any specific questions or topics you'd like me to address? I'm not sure I'd know where to start - as you say, it's difficult to tell how much of my attitude is obvious and which parts might be new/interesting.

    I agree there's something new happening in porn, and definitely think it's connected to queer theory and gender politics. I hope to be part of it. I firmly believe porn can - and should - be progressive, egalitarian and politically and aesthetically interesting, and I'm intending to make my own contribution to that.

    Adrian - thanks for the comments and support. I'll have to look up that fetish collection, it sounds interesting...

    Heresiarch - thankyou, again. It was certainly good for me. If you can't get rid of the guilt, there are things I can recommend :)

    Prefectdt - thankyou, and especially for the cogent reply to Briony's comment on the HC thread. I picked it up on my phone while we were out shopping, and it made me whoop with amusement and delight in the middle of Iceland. Go you!

    Niki - I'd love to write for one of the big papers, but I don't think I'm sleeping with the right people. It would probably be less of a time commitment than a book, though ...

    Indy - thankyou very much! I'm glad that people don't feel misrepresented, I was a bit nervous about suddenly being the Spokeswoman for Kink. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:47 AM

    I understand that the Guardian accept contributions for their Comment Is Free section. It's how the atheist bus got started.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails