Thursday, December 17, 2009

more than I can chew

I don't know where to start writing about the shoot on Monday. It was amazing, hot, exciting, successful and satisfying. It was also difficult, stressful, and triggered a massive anxiety response which is still dominating my memories of the event. I don't know how to start writing about the good stuff before I've processed the bad stuff, but I have too much vanilla work to do this week to take the time I need to process it, so the bad stuff is just going round and round in circles in my head.

Make sense? No, probably not.

Okay. Ever heard the phrase "biting off more than you can chew"? This could have been written to describe my attitude to making spanking porn.

Anyone who's ever heard me talk about this, any time in the last three years, will know what I mean. When it comes to making spanking porn, I am like a naive, over-enthusiastic puppy. I'm idealistic, ambitious and passionate, I'm willing to work hard - these are all good things. I have filled a database with upwards of 60 script ideas and I add more to it by the day. I have grand visions of making ethical, socially-conscious, politically-responsible porn - and blithely assume that if it's hot enough, I'll be able to sell it anyway. I write scripts that are incredibly fiddly and difficult to film and edit, even though I don't even know how to use my new camera equipment yet and am wholly reliant on the expertise of my technically-minded friends; even though the only video editing I've done in my life was with Michael Stamp sitting next to me and telling me what to do.

I know all this. I know that having highbrow ideas at this stage is silly. I know I should chill out, start small, not aim for too much too fast. But a combination of big ideas, optimism, confidence, hard work and good team-members has enabled me to work miracles in the past. I learn best by throwing myself in at the deep end. It's always a gamble, and more times than not it pays off. But things don't always go to plan.

--

Now, the way I'm working up to this, you'd think I'd have broken a camera over Zille's head or something. I can assure you that my models were only harmed in the ways one would expect on a spanking shoot ;) The problem is my head, and it's wholly internal. Before I explain what the whole mess in my head is about, let me just note down what actually happened on Monday:

- Tom, Zille deFeu, her partner Malc, the Mystery Minx and camera-wizard J all descended on Olivia Manners' beautiful wood-panelled flat for a day of debauchery.

- We made three films, all between 15-30 minutes in length, some more complicated than others.

- We also took lots of hot photos.

- It was really really hot. :)

- Then we all went out to dinner, where I proceeded to lose my grip on reality, fail to participate meaningfully in any of the fascinating conversations about politics and polyamory and academia and society going on around me, and very nearly fell asleep in my bowl of moules.

So what's the big deal? Well, see, I exclude any of my head-drama from the above precis because I know it's not a big deal, not really. Although my paranoid hindbrain is trying to convince me that everyone involved now loathes me for being an annoying unprofessional waste of space who should never be let in charge of a shoot again, I am choosing to proceed on the assumption that my paranoid hindbrain is incorrect.

I'm new at this. I have lots to learn. Here are some of the things I learned on Monday:

- If you're writing a script that involves multiple lighting setups, multiple rooms, shooting out of order, etc., the ONLY way to survive the experience without going insane is to create a storyboard. Attempting it without a storyboard will result in the loss of your morning / mind / all your friends.

- Also, it will probably take about twice as long as you think. Double your estimated time and add a bit extra to be safe.

- Do not assume that power points will be available wherever you need the lights to be. Bring spare extension cables.

- Do not assume that the lights/cameras/microphones will work properly first time. Schedule in testing and failure time at the start of the day to get everything working.

- Do mention to your camerapeople that you have spare memory cards, which they can record straight onto and give you back at the end of the day, thus removing the need for complex, time-consuming data transfers that may or may not work.

- Do not forget to get your models' ID shots at the start of the day, so that they have to politely remind you at 5pm.

- Before the shoot, do not get so involved in writing and re-writing elaborate scripts that you forget to do such basic things as, e.g. printing copies of the callsheet, release forms, etc.

- Even if you think your schedule is watertight, build flexibility into it officially. Don't write "we're going to do four clips" on the callsheet and mentally acknowledge that okay, if you need to drop it to three, you'll drop it to three (but you'd really rather not). Write on the callsheet: "we're going to attempt as many of these as we can, and it will take as long as it it takes. It doesn't matter if we finish two or three or four as long as we have fun". If possible, inscribe it directly onto your brain. Otherwise making the necessary, sensible, flexible, responsible decision to drop the last scene when you run over will feel, despite previous mental notes, like a failure.

- When you have only produced one video shoot for yourself before, and that a) only involved trusted friends, and b) happened nine months ago, do not massively over-reach yourself by trying to organise a big professional shoot with lots of people you don't know, before you're ready, just because you fancy Zille deFeu and can't wait until the next time she's in the UK to dive into all your complicated elaborately plotted scenes. If you are at the stage in your learning curve where what you can do well is straightforward roleplay scenes in front of a static cam, there is no shame in doing straightforward roleplay scenes in front of a static cam. Trying to do more and failing will not only make you feel like shit, it will annoy the professionals you've hired who have to work through the ensuing chaos, it certainly won't impress anyone, and people will probably conclude that you were trying to show off.

--

There's lots more I wanted to write about. I wanted to write about the scenes themselves, and how hot they were, and how they get hotter the more distance there is between now and my stress on the day. I wanted to write about Zille and Malc and how I am still glowing from the joy of meeting them, and how I want to spend another day (or week, or year) with them, when we're not working and I'm not a tired stressball of anxiety. I wanted to show you photos of my bruises, which have a similar quality to the ones I sported after my shoot with Pain4Fem, at least on my left cheek. I wanted to whinge about my physical fatigue, all the myriad aches and pains one collects during a 17 hour shooting day when you're already feeling run down. I wanted to write about the nature of responsibility as it relates to submission and modelling and acting and production. I wanted to write about money, and the emotional difference between being paid to be hurt on camera, and paying people to hurt you on camera. I want to squee about our outfits. I wanted to write about the last scene of the day, the hard caning that I didn't know I needed until I was crying very real and very unexpected tears after that agonising high stroke, and suddenly the tension inside me (that had been there since the first film took over four hours to finish rather than two) finally started to ease.

Right now, however, I am taking my tired, bruised self to bed, where I will hopefully fret less about everyone hating me for being a terrible producer than I have on all the previous nights this week. I did a long, tiring 1.5 days of invoicable work today, and my schedule tomorrow looks much the same. But I'll try and squeeze in another half an hour to write, if I can.

15 comments:

  1. Why, of course everybody hates you. How could they not? :-P

    Either that, or they understand that your first major shooting project was necessarily going to obey Murphy's Law.

    Anyway, I can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It already sounds like you did a lot better than you give yourself credit for. Just recall that Royal Family Christmas Special fiasco - they had to reshoot it all because a camera fault decapitated everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey. It sounds like you did just fine. It's a steep learning curve, of course it is. But you'll get there. Lordy
    we still screw up from time to time in fundamentals. It's great you are going for ambitious filming. The scene needs more of that. Just cut yourself some slack. The more complex the film, the more logistics there are to manage and is therefore more time consuming. But when I. Despair, remember the golden rule of spanking porn - as long as there are cameras and bottoms being spanked, you have a successful shoot. So don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being the person in charge is just plain exhausting... big difference between doing stuff to help out, and being the person everyone turns to for instructions and directions. It is very rare to get as much as five minutes of "brain downtime" on shoot days- there's ALWAYS the next scene to worry about, people asking you questions, or something to be done. You start work sooner, finish later... and while everyone else is worrying about THIS scene, you're going to be worrying about this one and the next one and the schedule and that everyone is OK and when we are going to have lunch and finishing times and have we got enough cards and are all the mikes still switched on and did we remember to re-colour balance now we are shooting in daylight and oh damn is that light stand in shot we'd better reshoot and have we got coverage and did we remember to shoot cutaways and closeups and ...

    It sounds like you did good. Any shoot on which you get usable footage is a success.

    I totally agree with you on the "falling asleep face down in my food" at meals afterwards BTW- I'm sure everyone thinks I am a very rude man for being a silent zombie after shoots ;-) But those participating in the post shoot jollity have not had to make thousands of decisions over the last 17+ hours to make the shoot go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello pot this is the kettle oo something ;)

    You're way harder on yourself than I am! So please cut yourself some slack, I know it's hard being a perfectionist, but there is a certain amount of learning by doing in what you're trying to achieve.

    And I'm fairly confident the results will be very hot and the little imperfections only visible to your keen eye :0

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I think it is no accident that even in really low budget mainstream film and TV production, the first two roles that are usually split off are producer and director. Being the person who worries about all the logistics AND the person who worries about what's happening on screen is too much for one person, generally.

    I'd hire a full-time producer if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hywel:

    Or in this case, a part time director. Between us, Pandora handles production and I handle direction on the day; there is of course a little overlap when I'm taking concept direction from Pandora, but executing it once the cameras roll is mostly my problem.

    If nothing else, the mind-sets of director and top complement well; director and bottom would be rather conflicted I suspect.

    Thank you all for the lovely comments.

    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Living two years with a film major was enough to make me realize that the mind-shredding stress and complicatedness of film production was not for the likes of me. I think you're incredibly ballsy to dive into it as you have.

    Mishaps and mini-disasters are pretty much what films are made of, right? Ambition such as yours is rare... Greatness will come of it. (By which I of course mean hotness!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobody ever achieved anything much with realistic ambitions. When you lose interest in stretching yourself, it's time to give up and take a bite you can't chew out of something else. You just have to remember Hofstadter's law: 'It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you did just fine to be honest.

    Here's another one for you though....

    When you have a character relaying a carefully written, scene setting monologue, as well as setting the lighting & camera and on top of preparing the actor, its also probably wise to.........plug the fuckin' mic in!!!!

    Someone brand new to filming on only their 2nd ambitious shoot???

    Nope Michael Stamp & myself just two days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephen:

    Dir:  "Cut!"
    Cam2: "Dammit!"
    Dir:  "Camera 2, what's up?"
    Cam2: "No tape in the damn thing."
    Omnes: "DOH!"

    Not from this shoot, but a particularly good tech!fail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I've just realised I never replied to these comments! The week following the shoot was even more crazy than normal - post-shoot fatigue combined with generally feeling rundown while fighting off a nasty flu bug, contracting 1.5 days a day, family outings, work panics, roadtrips out of London and my internet at home going down. I did really, hugely appreciate all your comments at the time, though - it was so lovely to get reassurance like this from some of the people whose work I admire most in the scene.

    Adele - you are of course right. The anxiety has faded with time, and my second group shoot went MUCH better, so yay for that. I do set the bar too high for myself; I need to learn to take things more slowly in general. (But then how will anything get DONE??!)

    I can't wait to show you! And maybe shoot with you? I need to replenish my funds but you are totally next on my list :)

    Master Retep - Haha! I hadn't heard of that, but it's good to know it's not just first-timers that cock up :)

    Lucy - you are 100% lovely and this comment was massively reassuring. I really did expect too much of myself for the first time, and my schedule was far too ambitious. But I know that now, and I've had a very successful shoot since then, which was partly because I was trying to do less complicated things, but partly luck of the draw.

    I absolutely get your golden rule - but a successful shoot is also about keeping your hired tech people and models happy, and I think I stressed people out a bit, which is the main thing I was beating myself up about. It wasn't that we got less done than I wanted, it was inconveniencing the people who were going out of their way to help me. But yes, it is a learning curve, and learn I shall :) Thankyou so much for the kind words and reassurance, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hwyel - Yes, absolutely. This is why I delegate direction to Tom - the idea is that I do everything in the run up to the shoot, and he's in charge on the day. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to quite work out in practice - I'm often the only one with all the relevant information, who knows how things fit together, because I'm the one that's done all the preparation. Equally, while I can hand responsibility for the scenes over to Tom, I still feel responsible for the welfare of the people I'm working with, and can't relax when I need to be checking in with people and making sure they're okay.

    This isn't a bad thing - and I produced/directed the shoot I had with Zoe and Jimmy on the 30th, which went entirely without a hitch, so I think the problems on the shoot with Zille/Malc were entirely down to my lack of knowledge about how long things would take, and putting too much pressure on myself.

    I still feel that for a shoot to be a success, all the people involved should be okay and not made to feel stressed out. Perhaps that's inevitable. Not stressed out more than necessary, let's say. It's not just about usable footage, it's about building relationships and trust and not annoying the people who are going out of their way to help you ;)

    Glad it's not just me who falls asleep in their food though! I dunno if you've seen the adverts for the new Andre Agassi biography, but one of the quotes always resonates with me. "After two days of being high, I'm an alien." That sums it up pretty well.

    Thanks for the reassurance. I really love your work, btw :)

    EmmaJane - Argh no, you've caught me out! :) It's not so much the imperfections in the resulting films that stressed me out as the lack of organisation on the day - I guess I wanted to impress people, ho hum. :)

    Graham - ballsy? Or.... STUPID? :) I do tend to take the bull by the horns and other slightly dodgy metaphors, which works out okay often enough for it to be a worthwhile trade off with the times I fall splat on my face. But boy, are those times humiliating.

    Hotness is what I'm hoping for! Although I have various delightful IT things to sort out before I can get stuck into the editing - until then it's all one big unknown...

    Jon - thankyou, that is what I needed to hear. It's a good law. I shall remember it.

    Stee-Lew - Before I answer your comment, have I told you lately how completely awesome I think you are? Every time I see one of your/Lucy's projects I am more impressed by your vision, sense of humour, and total handle on what makes things hot and interesting. Also, you are one hell of an awesome satirical actor, as Strictly proved. Kudos.

    But yeah, good to know I'll be still be dramatically fucking up five years from now...! ;) Seriously, glad it's not just me. I shall take myself less seriously forthwith. (Yeah right...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm only catching on blogs now... I just wish I could have been useful at the shoot and found a way to be more helpful... If only I could have stayed longer! As it was, I had an appointment with Headmaster Jenkins and I really did not want to make things worse for myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear gods!

    Life was so stressful for me for weeks and weeks after that shoot, that I somehow totally missed this post!

    I feel terrible that I didn't reply within seconds of your posting it to tell you that I adore you and that Papa Otter and I loved working with you!

    I've been shooting porn for years now, and every single video shoot (and most of the still photo shoots as well) have been barely controlled chaos at best. At worst, they were far, far worse than our day of shooting was or could ever have been!

    Papa Otter and I left the shoot tired but filled with happiness and satisfaction. The only problem I had with the whole thing was that I wasn't well enough to be in the Victorian brothel this time 'round!

    I know I've probably already convinced you of that, but I doubt it will hurt anything to re-state it, even belatedly as this is.

    I feel so terrible that you felt this bad after our shoot, and that I didn't even know about it and thus was not there to support you and make you understand that there was nothing to be upset about!

    So, I think I owe you some comforting! Feel free to demand your well-deserved cuddles whenever I am around to provide you with that service! :)

    And, if this ever happens again (or you're upset about something else and want to talk) please call, text, or email me and I'll be right there with warm affection and honest encouragement.

    And I look forward to talking to you sometime soon, regardless! If you're too busy whilst I'm still in the UK, we can just plan something for after I get back to the US -- no worries, never any stress with me, my dear!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails