editing: the first hurdle
You know how I've been a bit anxious about whether I'd be able to cope with plunging into the deep end with film editing? Well, over the weekend I defragged my computer, installed my shiny new editing software and on Monday I plunged in. It took me a while to get my head around thinking in three (four?) dimensions at once, but I really enjoyed it. After four hours I'd very nearly finished my first ten-minute clip, which felt like an awfully long time, but the work was so engrossing I didn't really notice time passing.
I did discover, contrary to my habitual multi-tasking ways, that neither my PC nor my brain can cope with doing editing at the same time as anything else. Of course I can't play music - obvious, but it took some getting used to as I normally have music on continually at home. I had to pop out halfway through to pick up some groceries, and my brain was so ensnared in the editing process that I had to come back home twice to collect things I'd forgotten, and then I forgot something else when I headed out in the evening. And my usual habit of having social networking open alongside work proved impossible: I closed all my other applications, and focussed properly. It felt good, though: learning new skills always does, and in this case my mind felt particularly, pleasingly challenged as I tried to simultaneously learn the new software, hold various variables in my head and piece everything together like a 3D jigsaw puzzle. And the sense of achievement when I stopped was immense.
Thanks so much to Michael Stamp for acting as my editing coach while we were working on Acquiescence. If I hadn't spent those days watching someone so experienced at work, I would have had a much more daunting task ahead of me. I like learning new things, and I'm so very grateful to those with the patience to help.
Incidentally, this process has taught me something interesting about how my brain learns best. Here are my ideal learning methods, in order of preference:
- Attempting something new myself, being in the driving seat, but with someone experienced and patient behind me to answer questions.
- Poring over someone else's uncompressed project files (or psds, or xhtml/css, or whatever), looking at what tools they used when, googling the things I don't understand and learning new effects I hadn't known before.
- Plunging in on my own and working it out by ear, googling as I go.
- Watching, making notes and asking questions while watching someone else work.
- Reading online tutorials.
In other words, applied > pure, and getting my own hands dirty is better than anything else. In the case of editing, I did (4), then (1), then a tiny amount of (5) before realising it was pointless, then (3).
The other important thing, it seems, is timing. Theoretical learning methods such as (4) and (5) are much more useful if I immediately follow them with something practical. That's true for most people, I think. I was particularly grateful for the excuse (in the form of the re-edit of Acquiescence after the original file was corrupted) to do some more editing with Mr Stamp, a year after my first visit with him. A year is, of course, far too long for any of that information to stay in my head. The second time round it was familiar, and stuck faster. If I hadn't had that refresher course I would have been lost trying to edit on my own.
Tomorrow is scheduled for working on my own projects (hurray!) and I'm looking forward to getting another chunk of editing done (and if not, at least another chunk of learning). I can't wait. Lucy McLean has sensibly pointed out that I won't find the prospect so exciting when I have a backlog of hundreds of videos waiting to be edited, but it seems to me that just means I should enjoy the novelty while it lasts. My backlog is a meagre ten and a bit - enough that I can work up to the more complicated ones slowly, but not so much it seems overwhelming.
I promised myself I'd put filming on hold until I'd proven to myself that the editing was, at least, possible. Well, the software works and my graphical/audio skills seem to be transferrable so far. My relief at discovering that I can, after all my foreground confidence and background anxiety, make it work, is almost euphoric. In a few days I'm going to let myself start plotting my next shoot, but for now the editing joy is more than sufficient. Stretching my brain, learning new skills, realising my vision ... it may yet all go horribly wrong/not be remotely profitable, but right now I'm having too much fun to worry about that!





So what software are you using, Pandora?
ReplyDeleteAnd what online tutorials are you finding useful?
I'm using Premiere Pro for the moment - as soon as I've saved up enough to buy a Mac, I'll be upgrading to Final Cut. (It was Premiere Pro that ate the original file of Acquiescence... I'm steeled for the worst, but it hasn't been too buggy so far.)
ReplyDeleteAs I said in my entry, I haven't found any online tutorials as useful as just wading in and experimenting :)
Best of luck to you Pandora. Just reading your blog about your study and struggles makes me feel a part of your success.
ReplyDeleteIt's a very brave and exciting thing you're doing.
Well done. Its a very satisfying feeling when it clicks right but you'll find it just eats up time. I have found 30:1 editing time:finished product would be typical for a pretty acceptable but uncomplex project.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are doing well honey. I love editing and it was something that was part creative, part technical that appealed to me. That, and it's a very isolatory job - which makes me pretty happy.
ReplyDeleteThe problem I have is that after 7 years, I find spanko pr0n utterly unchallenging to edit. There are certain films that I enjoy working on, but the edit itself is rarely a big thing for me anymore.
However, when we have a project like Strictly Come Spanking or Wheatley Manor, it becomes a fresh and exciting prospect again as these were filmed completely differently to our mainstay of pr0n. Or if I work on a vanilla maintstream film, it's completely different and challenging because the filming structure is completely different.
My top tip is once you've nailed the basics and you find yourself getting a bit complacent (which will take a couple of years) then just to do as many varied, and challenging project as you can. That will keep it fresh for you. Good luck!
Best of luck to you, I'm an editor & the best advice I was given when I started was to just feel the rhythm of the piece and make your cuts from that standpoint. Most spanko films I've seen are shot on two camera's the first a bottom cam (for want of a better description) & one a faces or reaction cam. The two thing that annoys me in spanko films from an editing perspective are 1. the huge differences of the audio when you cut from one camera to the other, much better to choose one source and stick to it, overlaying whenever you cut from one to the other. If you want to get really fancy you could blend them but thats more time consuming. 2. Colour correction. Try to make sure that the two camera's match. Premiere has a good colour correction tool, FCP has a far better one.
ReplyDeleteI'm in the process of switching from Avid to Final Cut so I can empathise with your learning curve. Good for your brain though.
Best of luck!
Mija: I assume you're defining "success" as I am - referring to the journey rather than the destination? I'm reluctant to make ANY assumptions about the success of the business venture yet... but in the meantime I'm learning stuff, stretching myself and having fun, which makes me a happy lady.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you think it's exciting! I think it's exciting too! :)
Master Retep: Yeah, that doesn't sound like an unrealistic time ratio. It's making me boggle a bit, that someone with as many demands on my time as I have thinks that this is a viable extra thread to add to my career... let's see of it starts to pay for itself and I continue to find it this rewarding/exciting! I hope so :)
Lucy - yeah, that sounds very familiar! The hermitting is definitely a plus point to this geek :)
I am definitely one to always be looking to the next challenge. I'm sure it's not going to be a problem - at the moment I'm having to consciously restrain myself from attempting some of my more ambitious film projects, partly because I don't yet have the resources/budget to do them justice but mostly because I KNOW I don't have the experience and skills yet. I already have several years' worth of filming projects jotted down - if I continue having ideas at my present rate, I'm never going to get to the end of it! Which is a situation I very much enjoy being in. And yes, if I keep doing this (I hope I will, but realistically of course I might not - it might not prove viable, life might get in the way etc) my aim would be always to try to stretch myself and raise the bar with more challenging, complex projects.
Right now, however, basic spanking clips are perfectly challenging enough ;)
Digdug - Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I've had some valuable technical help and support from experienced friends in the industry - the stuff I'm working on now is from my most recent shoot, and I'm blending the audio from both cams. Colour correction I'm keeping an eye on as well - it looks okay to my eye thanks to having awesome lighting assistance, but I'll play with that tool and see if I can improve it.
ReplyDeleteWhen I get to the footage from previous shoots I might run into problems - but my first ever one was a single cam, so hopefully my inexperience won't have messed it up too much that time!
I love how many of my readers are well-informed, experienced techie people. Every time I talk about this stuff I get useful advice. It's really cool :)
From what I read, many PC users seem to be happy with Sony Vegas editing software.
ReplyDeleteDVXuser.com is a good forum for videomaking advice and knowledge sharing.
Good luck!
Well done you, blending audio from two camera's together teaches you some important lessons about sync and is very impressive for someone who's only learning. Most spanko producers don't do it so it bodes well for your future site that you are starting out aiming for quality. Good quality lighting will always make your life easier.
ReplyDeleteFinal Cut Pro & Avid are the only industry standard editing programs and are employable, marketable skills in themselves. Vegas et al are aimed at the home market. Premiere Pro is a very good introduction to editing and is a sort of bridge between the home & professional worlds. It's sister products Photoshop & After Effects are the industry standard in for photo manipulation & compositing respectively. Its a great program to learn on & you can learn how to cut a piece, which is far more important than how to use any single editing package. Learn how to cut with Premiere then sharpen your blade with Avid or FCP.
Again best of luck