Tuesday, March 10, 2009

editing Acquiescence

I spent Friday and Saturday locked up with the Governor of the world's most infamous women's prison. Well, not actually locked up. In fact it was almost like a holiday, what with the good food, good wine and extremely pleasant company, except for the fact that we were working late every night. But it was fun work - well, it must have been, since we were both choosing to do it in our spare time after a busy working week. Strange people as we are.

We were editing the film I shot with Tom and Stephen Lewis for Michael's forthcoming second site, Control and Reform. It's a D/s-focussed video-on-demand site, releasing full-length films for download, streaming or DVD purchase. I can't wait for it to go live, which will hopefully be soooooon (but is unlikely to be soon enough for my chronic impatience).

Our film is called Acquiescence, and is a re-imagining of psychological interrogation narratives such as Closetland or V for Vendetta, only with less forced head-shaving and anal torture, and more thrashings.



We shot it nearly two years ago, just before Tom and I separated for a few months, so watching the footage held a bittersweet edge for me. I liked it more than I thought I would.

The story I'd had in mind when we were filming was ridiculously over-ambitious, with a layered, non-linear structure. Last time I asked him how the editing was coming, Michael told me bluntly that there was no way he was going to be able to piece it together without my input, so I dutifully hopped on a train and spent a couple of days explaining my bizarre imaginings to the poor bloke.

However, he is a technical genius, and proved more than adept at turning my garbled ideas into something approaching a watchable film. I learned an awful lot about film editing, while remaining well aware that I was barely scratching the surface. I also reassured myself that I am audible on camera most of the time, so that's alright. And I had lots of fun, and hopefully helped more than I hindered.

Michael has been an absolute star, persisting in the face of numerous technological disasters, and I really hope the results are worth it. Maybe we'll end up with a cool, psychologically interesting CP film. And maybe it'll just be a spanking movie with interrogations and blindfolds and handcuffs and me naked and shivering in a cell. Either way, it should be good.



9 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:46 PM

    A pleasure to work with you again P, if only all of my editing duties had such assistance!
    Next time I will make sure I have a lot more of that nutritious food to keep us going...like the triple chocolate biscuits....!
    Nice choice of pics by the way.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:40 AM

    A spanking movie with you naked and blindfolded and handcuffs is a wonderful thing. But, I really dig that you are trying to make something more complex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that does look really interesting. And good for you for being ambitious. It's an excellent thing. :-)

    I might actually have to splash out and watch all of this one... *grins*

    love,

    O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike - OH MAN those chocolate biscuits. You know how to seduce a girl. *drool*

    Zugzwang - well, I dunno if my mad ideas will actually come out that well in the finished product, we were shooting on a tight schedule and there was a limit to how much we could pack in. But the film should be pretty, and that's no bad thing. I might see if I can get Mr Stamp's permission to publish some of his lovely stills with the short story/script thingy I wrote before the shoot, as a photostory type thing? Might be a nice way of complimenting the DVD...

    Ophelia - Yay! I'll definitely let you know when it's out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Complementing the DVD, I meant. One spank to me for poor spelling.

    Speaking of compliments, Zugzwang, you just managed to gracefully flatter both my looks and my creative ambitions without a hint of awkwardness. Kudos! Wish I had your skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:46 PM

    Chocolate! Good food! Good Wine!

    When i edit at Stamp Towers all i get is Hula Hoops and Water.

    I'm really pleased this is taking shape now. I'm sure Mike told you but it was a constant topic of conversation everytime we met up. We knew there was some really great material there but were never quite brave enough to make a start on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:42 PM

    Hula hoops Lewis! I gave you Hula Hoops! Good lord, don't expect that every time!
    P, of course you may have some pics and publish the synopsis. I will get them off to you post haste, if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sixofthebest6:19 PM

    Good dungeon scene, I would have liked to see the whipping that you took given to you much harder.Do you think Roxana Saberi, the Iranian lady, will be given the same treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sixofthebest9:08 PM

    A beautiful clip Pandora, a beautiful clip. What more can one say.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails