Wednesday, March 11, 2009

from Chaucer to Lord Melbourne

There were many things I loved about the anachronistic medieval romp The Knight's Tale, and the use of stadium rock to create the atmosphere of a jousting tournament was only one of them. For a start, the cast was exceptionally well chosen. Heath Ledger, bless his soul, played an earnest, ambitious blond buffoon- not his most stimulating role - but Laura Fraser (best known as Door in Neverwhere) as a kick-ass blacksmith almost made up for the pointlessness of the female lead. Not to mention Alan Tudyk playing a daft squire who is almost (but not quite) called Wash, and James Purefoy as a sizzling Black Prince. But my favourite character – and performance – was Paul Bettany as the inspired, poverty-stricken, gambling-addicted, and often naked Geoffery Chaucer.



I've always found writers sexy. Bettany's Chaucer had passion, a crackling intensity and an undeniable way with words. He could play a crowd. (Tom isn't that flamboyant, but the skill and power with which he uses words is one of the things I love most about him.) Chaucer also had an underlying hint of sleaziness and unpredictability, the very slightest impression of being a little bit of a bastard. I doubt Bettany's Chaucer would be a particularly responsible Dom, but he has presence and power, and that's hellishly attractive.



Thanks to Valdor at the Spank Statement, I've just found out that Bettany is playing Lord Melbourne in the new film The Young Victoria. I love costume dramas and films about strong women, so I was already planning to see the film, but I hadn't realised quite how interesting Melbourne was. He was Prime Minister as Victoria came to power, and acted as her mentor. He was also a kinky bastard, with a taste for 'flagellation'. Here's a revealing line Valdor picked out of his autobiography:

"Spanking sessions with aristocratic ladies were harmless, not so the whippings administered to orphan girls taken into his household as objects of charity."

And he's played by the very same smouldering, silver-tongued Bettany.



Oh my.

The film tells the story of Victoria's self-empowerment, but I'll be interested to see what subtext Paul Bettany and Emily Blunt bring to their mentor/protegée relationship. Blunt's young queen is apparently entirely comfortable with her sexuality. And who could possibly resist Lord Melbourne's enormous weapon? I mean come on, look at that goofy grin. And that silly hat. Phwoar.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the similarities mount up. I have a major thing for Bettany for ages, even if he insists on occasionally making daft rom-coms about tennis with Kirsten Dunst. I remember when that movie came out-- I loved it to bits and saw it several times in the cinema.

    Random trivia: in the states there was a class-action lawsuit against Sony Pictures around some shady advertising practices. The payout was that ANYONE who had seen The Knight's Tale was entitled to $5 damages. I didn't collect my $5, but it still makes me laugh.

    The Young Victoria had just barely registered on my brain before I saw this post. Now I will certainly have to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Paul Bettany a bit young to be playing Melbourne? When Victoria came to the throne he was almost 60.

    Your comments about Chaucer are interesting in the light of this week's revelation of a "new" Shakespeare. I suspect part of the attention - and why it has been accepted by people (like Stanley Wells) who really ought to know better, is precisely because the man in the picture is good looking and far too young (and also bears a remarkable resemblance to Joseph Fiennes).

    But of course we live in an age in which writers are supposed to be photogenic, as though the ability to string a few words together somehow implied fine cheekbones. And when a (male) writer doesn't match up to these aesthetic criteria, yet still manages to attract the ladies (think Rushdie, Martin Amis, Arthur Miller) they never hear the end of it. It's even worse for women, these days they have to be total babes even to get published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:40 PM

    I liked Bettany as Chaucer, too - but I have to say on the whole I'm partial to his wife, Jennifer Connelly. Now I wonder if they every play "Victoria-and-the-Prime-Minister" at home... ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline - I don't have anyone to see The Young Victoria with! Maybe we should have a remote spanko date? Like, all the kinky girls who want to lust over Paul Bettany in a frock coat all go and see it on our own at the same time, and then we can fangirl about it on our blogs afterwards to our hearts' content? (We could even blog about it WHILE WATCHING IT if the cinema let you have mobile phones.)

    Damn. This would be more fun if I had real friends.

    The Heresiarch - yup, he is. I'm not caring too much, though. I'll let you know once I've seen if if I think he lacks sufficient authority.

    You're spot on about writers though, and it's galling, especially if you're trying to get published for real. (I se nsibly gave up on that idea at the age of 15.) Mind you, are there any professions a woman won't be more successful in if she's considered attractive?

    Graham - you're kidding me! He's married to Jennifer Conolly? Wow. How did I miss that? I think you might just have given me my new fantasy threesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pandora...that sounds excellent. I don't have a fancy enough phone to blog live, but yeah, fangirlism is much more fun in groups. It just is. And damn, even the word "frock coat" turns me on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline - Frock coat. Frock coat. Cravat. Silver-topped cane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:56 PM

    I look forward to seeing it. He was also quite good as the ships doctor in Master and Commander.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails