porn, activism and lolcats
I was interested to read these lecture notes by Ethan Zuckerman, from a talk on digital media, particularly media designed for the propagation of (usually frivolous) user-generated content, and the role it plays in political broadcasting.
"I’d offer the hypothesis that any sufficiently advanced read/write technology will get used for two purposes: pornography and activism. Porn is a weak test for the success of participatory media - it’s like tapping a mike and asking, “Is it on?” If you’re not getting porn in your system, it doesn’t work. Activism is a stronger test - if activists are using your tools, it’s a pretty good indication that your tools are useful and usable."
Porn and activism - I'd like to think that summed up how I use Blogger. But I think I'm missing something. Clearly I should be posting more lolcats.





"I can has BDSM?"
ReplyDeleteYou got activism in my porn!
ReplyDeleteIf the technology is being used for activism in pornography that can only mean that it works and it works well and being able to see this in one place can only save the initiators of the technology time in checking out the effectiveness of their product.
ReplyDeleteLOL cats - In theory, I hate LOL cats, they are the product of the twee end of the humour spectrum, far too sickly sweet and too far from the edge. The problem with that theory is that in reality I love LOL cats, they are cute and funny and I can't get enough of them. A spate of politically active LOL cats might be a good combination. Pornographic LOL cats however would be out of order in transgressing the hard and fast rules of safe, sane, consensual, no kids, no animals...............Except that one with two cats looking up an womans skirt and saying "No I can't see the resemblance" Oh! and of course the one of the kitten in a tangle of electrical wire saying "I forgetted the safe word".
Prefectdt
I have yet to find out how well activism in porn works in practice. I mean, my own productions will always try to live up to a certain ethos, and I want to be transparent about it, but the actual movies and stories are going to be fantasy; the politics will hopefully be self-evident.
ReplyDeletePerhaps "fair trade" porn is a more appealing label than "political" porn? I'm still working on this.
I only have one further thing to add to this discussion. Lolclits.
That is all.
"Lolclits"? Oh dear.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, shouldn't that be "loltwats"?