Tuesday, April 20, 2010

porn for women

I really enjoyed these paragraphs on the complications of producing porn for women in this in-depth review of Filament magazine:

The question isn't whether women want porn but what sort of porn to give them. That whole business of women not being "visual" has always rubbed me the wrong way (heh) and in today's highly interactive environment, we are all increasingly attuned to imagery. I've held that if women were provided with smut that didn't insult our intelligence or mistake us for gay men, we would be consumers as avid as our male counterparts. So what sort of porn might fit this bill?

Men have been acculturated to find a stereotypical female attractive: a petite, young, slender blonde with big boobs. Mind you, this is a generalization; thankfully plenty of men appreciate women of all shapes and sizes. But women's taste in men is all over the map: older or younger, slender or beefy, muscular or androgynous, hirsute or hairless. So who to photograph for a porn pictorial? And, correspondingly, whose fantasies to depict?

These questions have fascinating implications for spanking porn, where the norms are somewhat different. We are used to seeing a much wider range of female spanking models than male, and while there are several attractive male tops and bottoms, very little spanking porn presents the male actors as objects of desire. Is there as much variety in the physical type of male bottom or male top that kinky women find attractive as for our vanilla counterparts?

In my communicatons with Ms. Singh, the first thing I wanted to know was how sales were going. "Sales have been growing steadily with each issue," she informed me. "It's a killingly difficult market; we're trying to give something to women that they're constantly being told they shouldn't want, so it was never going to be easy."

I too am aiming to provide something to women that they're constantly being told they shouldn't want - visual female-gaze erotica where the men are there to be looked at as much as the women.

In my case, however, I also believe that this will be appealing to kinky men, especially male bottoms who are frustrated with the characterless, unjust representation they get in most spanking porn. I don't expect it to be easy, either. But I do think it will be worth it.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry if this comment is a bit off topic, but are you aware of any sources that would help me find porn movies that might be suited to a woman's taste? The article you quoted has a general discussion of the topic. I am looking for specific recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "for spanking porn, where the norms are somewhat different," as "for spanking porn, where the NOMS are somewhat different."

    Actually, that's just as true! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with those last lines 100%. As for what women want for kinky porn, I would not be arrogant enough to even guess. Best o' luck with this project, it is going to be difficult but it does feel like the right time to try something so important.

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting that you should post about this. I recently decided to again take up writing corporal punishment-oriented fiction. The subject is an obsession and I have a vivid imagination and a passion, so I'm trying to listen to what the universe is telling me.

    This is why I tweeted the question about spankability in a person and what inspires one to want to be spanked by a particular person. I really want developed characters and believable dialogue and situations.

    Pandora, you mention male subs. Shall I take that to mean you are working on producing erotica that features them? ... Or just that they're part of the action? Even though I'm a Dom, I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dom Tom - Funnily enough, I've had a post half-written in a notepad file for the last few months containing my recommendations for websites cater to women, both kinky and vanilla. You've motivated me to finish and post it!

    Zille: *NOM* :D

    PrefectDT: Thanks for the support! You have definitely helped open my eyes about the gap in the market catering to submissive men as well - weird given I think economically sub men make up *most* of the market for porn. Inertia is a powerful force in industry, though, and a lot of people consume what they're taught to consume, because it's there, rather than fighting for what they'd actually like to see.

    Franklin - Yup. :) Here are some posts about it:

    M/m and gender equality in spanking porn

    Boys on Film (containing pictures and write-up from an F/fm shoot I did for my forthcoming site in December)

    Male spankees and the female gaze

    ReplyDelete
  6. frants11:21 PM

    Do the girl have a crush on particular male doms in sm/spanking porn?
    - In the leading Norwegian bdsm/fetish forum SMil many girls have Mark Davis of Kink/Sexandsubmission on top of their list of who they'd like to be spanked by.
    For some strange reason..
    Well yo can have a free peek here
    http://www.sexandsubmission.com/site/shoots.jsp

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails