Friday, January 05, 2007

Shakespearean Spankings

Mr C and I are going away until Monday, and we'll be spending more time in character this weekend than out of it. Lots of different characters each, in fact, in a huge number of different stories and scenarios. I'm taking a suitcase full of outfits, including a variety of boy's clothes and a slavegirl costume.

No, it's not an extended spanking roleplay weekend: we're going on the marathon acting event we participate in every year. Unfortunately, given the early starts, late nights and the fact that we're sharing a room with a girl we haven't met before, there is unlikely to be much opportunity for spanking. Unless the girl proves to be corruptible, of course ;)

Given that we are historically able to find the kinky subtext in almost anything, however, the plays themselves should provide enough entertainment. Last year we did a D/s reading of The Taming of the Shrew which went down very well: Kate's change in attitude over the course of the play makes much more sense if you read her as a young, confused, intelligent woman who yearns to be dominated by someone she can actually look up to and admire. Thomas made a dashing, arrogant, powerful Petruchio, wielding a riding crop and dropping innuendos at every opportunity. I played Kate as changing from a stroppy teenager to an earnest young submissive who wants her husband to be proud of her, and I found far more sexual undertones in her lines than I'd ever expected. I always knew Shakespeare was a kinky bastard.

Ever since then I've wanted to make a Kate/Petruchio spanking video - you'd barely need to change their lines at all for it to make sense.

We don't have any plans for kinky subtext in any of this year's plays, but I wouldn't be surprised if something reveals itself as we go along. Perhaps we could make a whole series of Shakespearean spanking films?

5 comments:

  1. Pandors,

    Yes! I've always thought TOTS needed spankings. As you suggest, one needn't necessarily change a line.

    I hope your weekend was a good one!

    Hugs,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Absolutely, Shrew is crying out for a D/s interpretation; I'm sure that's what Shakespeare intended (and Cole Porter certainly did in 'Kiss Me Kate').

    Also many possibilities for D/s interpretations, at various levels of depravity, in the other TOTS (Turn of the Screw). The whole thing is (depending on your reading, of course) basically one long fantasy of the Governess anyway, and if her fantasies included being spanked by the children's guardian it would make much more sense. In fact, the more I think about it, the more possibilities occur to me. Somebody give me a film budget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie - Glad I'm not the only one who can see it! I need to find a studio interested in the concept - I would want it to have better production values than the kind of movie I could produce myself :)

    As of this weekend I also really want to do something with Lavinia/Chiron/Demetrius - I mean they rape her, cut off her hands and rip out her tongue - I would be very surprised if they didn't beat her at the same time. And even if they didn't, it's still hot. But then, I am sick and twisted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don - I haven't seen any of the TOTS adaptations, but I'll definitely look up 'Kiss Me Kate' anyway! I'm also ignorant of 'Turn of the Screw' - thanks for the recommendation :) And if you ever get that film budget, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:26 PM

    You're welcome! Let me know if you read it. It's only a little novella, perfect for a lazy few hours indoors (preferably during a thunderstorm, powercut etc). I'm dying to share my (increasingly elaborate) interpretation but would hate to spoil it before you've had a chance to read the book as Henry James intended... (Though maybe he had in mind exactly what I do. Filthy pervert he was, if so.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails