
I love the way this series is displayed - it has a real sense of movement to it, with the photos leaping from one part of the scene to the next.
Also, I had no idea that St Andrew's Crosses had been used as dungeon furniture since the 19th century! That actually increases their appeal :)
Written by
Pandora Blake
at
2:59 PM
Categories: other pictures, Victoriana, vintage spanking images
As well as leaving comments, which make me very very happy, you can contact me by emailling takeaswing at pandoras bot dot com.
It often takes me a few days or weeks to reply to email - but I promise I will eventually.

All content is copyright Pandora Blake, and may not be reproduced or used without permission. Please note that this blog is not responsible for the content of any linked sites.
These images are, for some reason, reminding me of the ones in a museum I once saw in Finland... I can't quite tell as the hairstyles make them look rather unified, but do the spanker and the spankee swap roles?
ReplyDeletePandora: St. Andrews Cross has been used in flagellant recreations for much longer than that. The Rennaissance at least, if not earlier: in both official/judicial and private contexts. It is, after all, rather an obvious shape if one wants access to the entire back, buttocks and legs (and has a very large house).
ReplyDeleteI love vintage snaps, they let me know it's in the genes somewhere, meaning I just can't help myself ;-)
ReplyDeleteLiz - I don't think they do switch, but I find the anonymity produced by the hairstyles extremely interesting. The girls are nude and interchangeable, so even though we're watching a scene in which one has power over the other, both of them are objectified to the viewer.
ReplyDeleteI can't remember seeing any spanking photos when I was in Finland - I'd surely have remembered! The picture is taken from the collection of a German called Uwe Scheid.
Mr C. - I'm not sure why I'm surprised, realy. Are there early woodcuts and things, or just literary evidence? I am fascinated :)
Autumn - absolutely! We aren't freakish and unusual - people have been doing this for centuries :)