Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Erotique derrières

While I was moving house, I came across a bunch of old postcards which I'd forgotten I had. I've had them since a friend visited France a few years ago.

"Would you like me to bring anything back for you from Paris?" she asked. I'd only visited Paris once, at that point, with my parents. I remembered the fascinating stalls of art cards on the left bank, filled with tantalisingly erotic prints which I'd wanted to linger over, but hadn't dared with my parents nearby.

So I asked her to bring me some rude postcards from the left bank, and she very kindly obliged. I don't think I'd really discussed my interest in spanking with her very much, but the prints she chose were surprisingly ... focussed:


"Back is Beautiful", Jeanloup Sieff, 1986

I love so many things about this image. The composition of the light; her poise and grace; the focus on the derrière but suggestion of elegant power in her bearing. Something about the mood of this image reminds me of Olivia Manners :)


"La Prière", Man Ray, 1930

This photo is, of course, incredibly famous (and I saw the real thing in the Pompidou Centre a few weeks ago) but this postcard was my first introduction to it.

And my two absolute favourites:




"Le Régard Oblique I" and "Le Régard Oblique I", Robert Doisneau, 1948

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, thank you Pandora :)

    And thank you too for posting the 2 photos you named as your absolute favourites, they've made me chuckle just as I'm heading to bed.

    Kisses,

    Olivia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is black the new black again? Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:07 AM

    Ah, I remember the days of my youth, shopping with parents at antique shops. There was always, at least one, dusty old box of risqué paraphernalia! Post cards, as you mentioned were quite common. I wish I could remember where I saw the man who had the whole collection of postcards, several with nude backsides in forest settings. Alas my mother wasn't too keen on me being near such dealers, so I didn't have much time to look. I'll be sure to send an image your way if I discover any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia - Glad to oblige, on both counts! :)

    PB - I think back is the new black. Or at least, it is if you cane it hard enough.

    Graham - it's nice to be a grown-up, isn't it? Mind you, I don't really collect postcards any more - they take up far too much space. Digital images are much more convenient. As long as you back them up, of course :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails