Monday, August 25, 2008

trust and submission

In most ways I had a lovely weekend, but between Friday and Sunday there was something nagging at me, a constant undertow of anxiety. Every so often the thought would surface in my conscious mind, and I would be briefly paralysed by a sick dread as I remembered that the tawse on the hands was currently scoring second in my poll.

This wasn't a pleasurable fear. This was a genuine horror. I knew, without doubt, that undergoing ten or more strokes of the tawse - even a small, light tawse - on the hands would be a truly awful experience. Not the kind of awful that is secretly lovely. The kind of awful that normally I go to any length to avoid. The real suffering of a genuine punishment, and an undeserved one at that. The prospect filled me with the kind of horror normally reserved for those facing dental surgery without anaesthetic.

We play games with consent and non-consent in this kink, with pleas and nos, with resistance and fear. Believe me, I am nervous as hell about the ten cold strokes with a senior cane that I am facing now, and the fifteen strokes with a stiff, heavy tawse that will follow them. But that nervousness is accompanied by a secret anticipation of the euphoria that will follow. It is a challenge which, I feel, I am up to, and I am already looking forward to the feeling of triumph when I prove myself worthy.

But fifteen on the hands? No. No, no, no. Not for play. Not for fun. Not when I haven't done anything wrong.

Why did I offer the option on the poll, then, if it was something that I so sincerely did not want? Well might you ask: the same question has been going round my own head since Friday.

The conclusion which I've been toying with all weekend, and which I am now more confident in declaring, is that it was about submission and it was about trust. In opening myself to requests from the floor, I was simply gathering data; but in then offering you the choice of those requests, without censorship from me, I was making a sincere gesture of submission to the collective will of my readers. Had I simply deleted the hand-tawsing option from the poll I would, in effect, have retained control over my punishment. Not complete control, certainly, as the number of strokes remained in your hands and the manner of their delivery in my Dom's, but I would have been givng the virtual equivalent of a safeword.

I don't safeword often. I have them, of course, and I have used them once or twice, but only once or twice over seven or eight years. I feel that safewording disrupts the tension and mood of a scene, and if at all possible I prefer to register my displeasure within the D/s dynamic. How much resistance I am allowed to express depends on the Dom and the scene, but usually I am allowed my voice, and my Dom will then choose whether or not to listen to it.

Although I wasn't aware of doing so at the time, I dealt with the poll in the same way. I expressed my reluctance for a certain option, but ultimately, I did not veto it. Instead, I submitted to your will and trusted that you would listen to my fears, and not choose an option that would be ultimately damaging.

My submission to my Doms is, at its best, so secure because of how much I trust them. I'm fallible and young and learning, all relationships are imperfect, and of course we don't achieve absolute trust all the time. But when we click, when we're in that gorgeous space of absolute unity of will, mine to theirs, it is because I know that their will is, ultimately, the best option. They may test me, they may challenge me, but they will not harm me. And I know how much joy I get from obedience. It's a more elaborate version of the oldest test of trust. I close my eyes, fall backwards, and in those moments of freefall I know the bliss of feeling truly weightless, safe in the knowledge that they will catch me before I land.

In including the first option on the poll, I was making the same leap of trust. I tried to communicate the consequences of choosing it, as I saw them, but at the same time I would rather include it in the poll than undermine the authority I had offered you by censoring it. Doing so, even though I didn't realise it at the time, showed my trust that you would choose the responsible option. It was a risk. I was submitting to a virtual collective mostly consisting of people I don't know, distanced from me by hundreds of miles, and mob morality is famously unreliable. So I was prepared for the worst: I had planned how it would go if you chose that option, who I would ask to deliver the strokes. It would be gruelling and horrible and emotional, and the resulting video would be edgy and powerful, and afterwards there would be a pleasure in having filmed something so raw. The extremes of my suffering would have been my gift to you, who had asked for it, and once I'd recovered I would have felt proud of myself for enduring it.

But you didn't choose that option. You knew that that experience, intense as it would have been, was not the best experience for this time. You knew that, given my newness to hand punishment, such a harsh introduction would not have been appropriate. You repaid my trust.

My happiness about the results of my blogiversary experiment is not only pleasure in being able to help my friends at Northern Spanking, or glee at the banter and camaraderie that surrounded the game. It was also a turning point in my relationship with you, the readers of this blog. I took a leap of faith and you caught me. I submitted to your will, and you answered my submission my making a responsible choice. This probably sounds over the top given that half of you are strangers, but within the strange confines of this virtual, collective, relationship, I do feel that something important has occurred. I took a risk that could be described as brave or foolhardy without really knowing why, and you proved yourselves, in this small instance, to be sympathetic and trustworthy human beings. There's a kind of intimacy in that, small but real nonetheless, and after experiencing it I feel more invested in this blog than every before.

Happy blogiversary to me :) In true hobbit style, this blog will give all of you a present in honour of its birthday. You've earned it. xx

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:45 PM

    Thank you Pandora

    Firstly: thank you for including my tawse-on-the-hand request in your poll, despite your dread

    Secondly: thank you for the picture (in your previous post) of your own fair hand under the mighty senior tawse

    Thirdly: thank you for all that you have written on the matter

    After your earlier pleading, I actually abstained from voting in the poll and even toyed with the idea of withdrawing my request. It was not my intention to cause you such anguish. I apologise. Will you forgive me?

    When you are ready to face up to your dread, it's going to be hot. Pandora's First Time - Tale of an Unjust Punishment. "I'll cry and it'll be horrible", you say. But exquisitely moving too, I suggest

    At the risk of boring your readers, may I offer some details from my own real life. Please forgive the rhetorical questions.

    In nearly four years of Edinburgh primary schooling, how often did a goody-two-shoes, top-of-the-class, teacher's pet receive such punishment? Only 3 times, but I witnessed it many dozens of times

    Multiple strokes? Often, but by no means always. As many as ten strokes? Never

    Was it dreadful? Yes

    Unjust punishments? Of course, although not to me personally. The consequences of being a "tell-tale tit" made it a much worse option than holding out your hand and getting it over and done with

    Did recipients cry? I can only recall one particular individual who did. There was no cruel teasing; it was never even spoken of

    Lasting damage? I don't think so. It made me kinky by the age of nine. Then my parents moved to England, where corporal punishment was extremely rare by comparison

    My early single-sex education from mostly women teachers DIDN'T leave me with a preference for F/m scenes, but I am happier being a watcher rather than a participant. Like you, Pandora, I have known kittens who would make better dominants than me

    I like bare female backsides as much as the next spanko but, for me, the order "hold out your hand" will always be that little bit more arousing than "bend over". The first time I downloaded your work was as a result of a search for "hand punishment", or some such combination of keywords. There were a number of hits on the English-Spankers site, including one in which, as the slave of Ms Zoe Montana, you are caned twice on each hand

    Thank you one more time

    James M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:47 PM

    Watching the voting reminded me of a woman holding a cane in her teeth.

    She didn't take the cane. Ever. It was pretty clear from the outset that she'd safeword and quite possibly walk out if anyone tried it. But still it got incorporated in scenes with her. When she was told to straighten up or it would be used she straightened up.

    Whenever I was watching, the hand punishment was always the underdog, only ever voted for when it was losing convincingly.

    That's why I pushed it back into third place. After all, where would your relief have come from if it scored 0 out of 120?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:09 PM

    Well, I voted senior tawse rather than the hand tawsing (having joined NSI to contribute one of the cane strokes) as I felt the number of strokes would be too many for the hand, this being an area you have to take some care with. But I had been wondering about suggesting that the non-cane punishment could start with, say, two or three with the strap per hand before switching to something else....

    When I act as the bottom myself (which I do far more than a top), then a tawse on the hand is actually one of my major fetishes, and the lady that 'deals' with me uses a pretty heavy one very hard. It hurts like hell, yes (though not as much as when on the feet), takes the breath away, but there's something very powerful and exciting for me about having to stand there facing your disciplinarian, holding out the hand still and waiting for something so painful that you can see coming. So while, yes, I wouldn't have voted for it for the strokes in this scenario given the possible number - it is something I'd like to see you do more of, partly because I know just what it's like myself. ;)

    Best wishes, Tyke48

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Pandora for an interesting and challenging blog. I was I fear away from home the whole time your poll was running so I missed the chance to vote. I had been on he point of canclling my NS membership but when the whole nastybaffair blew up decided to dontinue, perhaps indefinitley for the sake of Lucy and Paul. So I might have qualiofied to contribuite an extra cane stroke.

    In an earlier post you spoke of a fantasy about being at a boys' public school in the days when the cane ruled. I was - and I guarantee you that ythere was never such a thing as a warming up session beforehand - and, especially if it was a prefect dishing out the punishment, there would be maximum attempt to ensure that the caning was as harsh and clinical as possible. They woujld catch you at bed time, or worse, first thing in the morning when you knew all night that it was coming: or on a cold winter's day just before PT - with thin gymn shorts the only protection and the agony of having to go to the lesson afterwards! So while I believe you are very brave to accept the "cold caning" as the first part of your blogiversary spanking, I reckon it may well fall short of that!!!

    As to the hand tawsing: bravo that you did indeed trust your readers. I am certain that all of us who read and enjoy your blog and are sometimes challenged by the depth of understanding that you bring to the whole sphere of the spanking kink, would never wish to harm you in any way, nor to ask you to endure anything that is in any way contrary to what you yourself can wuillingly accepy. Only the sadistic would desire that: and sadists have no place within this whole scene. I can however vouch for the acute nastiness of hand tawsing/caning/rulering - let alone the fact that it can be dangerous to the hand if not expertly delivered: and few are expert enough to ensure that it can be safe. I would not have voted for that. But as I am days too late anyway, how I would or would not have voted is entirely immaterial.

    Good luck when you come to the day of doom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. James - Of course I forgive me! Your stories of being tawsed as a child elicit a sort of horrified fascination from me. I suppose I will have to endure it at some point, but I'll never like it in the same way as I like punishment on my bottom. I wasn't really referring to lasting damage on the hands so much as psychologically, forcing myself to undergo something I really wasn't comfortable with out of some mistaken concept of pride or integrity. Maybe I should have left the option off the list, but there was an added frisson in putting myself in your collective hands.

    I have a confession to make - "hold out your hand" was, for me as well, the indicator that real punishment was about to befall me as a child. Only a smack or two, never anything more serious, but the genuine unpleasantness and humiliation of those real experiences has not translated into kinky fascination, for me. I think it's incredibly interesting how different people process the same experiences in relation to their sexuality, though.

    Michael - you are a bad, bad, horrible, sadistic man. <3

    Anon - I can completely understand the powerful psychological impact of being forced to hold out your hand and maintain eye contact with your disciplinarian. And I have been caned and rulered on the hand, although not hard. I would certainly find a punishment or roleplay involving my hands powerful, and perhaps erotic in a very indirect way, but it lacks all the direct sexual charge of punishment applied to my bottom. I don't really understand it, but I know what I like :)

    Winchester - *shivers* Yes - the idea of being caught unprepared like that is very hot, but in reality ... well ... I suppose it's always different to do it for play. Early morning/cold canings are definitely more my thing than hand tawsing, though!

    And thankyou very much for the nice words :) *blush*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails